Deep Trust

  • Tobias Mayer
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2006
      I thought this story might be of interest to a few people.

      I had a conversation yesterday about co-location of teams, with a friend who owns a biotech company.  He told me that his research team are located on the east coast, while the management team are here in Palo Alto.  They communicate through conference calls.

      My experience of conference calls is generally very negative; they are no substitute for face to face communication.  But what he told me next was very interesting - in fact, fascinating and wonderful.

      The participants of the call have learned, slowly, over the past two years, to allow and value silence on these calls.  Periods of silence of up to 15-20 minutes are not uncommon.  They have found that this respect of silence produces huge increases in creativity and allows deeper exploration of new ideas and potential solutions.

      Silence is hard enough in a face-to-face meeting.  The concept of sitting on a conference call and not speaking, but just allowing the process to unfurl and ideas to take shape, is mind-blowing.  It seems to take the concept of trust to a new level.  A climate of deep-rooted trust and respect, and a complete absence of fear must prevail there.  How does one cultivate that, I wonder.

      This may not have much to do with practicing Scrum - but, then again... aren't we trying to foster trust, as a core value, within teams and organizations?  Does anyone here have experience of a culture where that level of trust exists?  Or have you been part of its creation?   I'd be very interested in hearing more about it.

      Tobias
    • beckfordp
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 6, 2006
        Hi Ron,

        I'm glad you found my post stimulating. See comments:

        <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:

        > On Friday, January 6, 2006, at 1:53:31 AM, Paul Beckford wrote:
        >
        > > I mentioned two value thinking in my last post. The words fear and
        trust
        > > have been mentioned several times, there are alternatives. For example
        > > discernment, neither fear or trust or judgement for that matter.
        Just a
        > > calm acceptence of what is and what is known, without judgement or
        fear
        > > or unquestioning trust.
        >
        > Very interesting point, Paul. I often recognize fear in team
        > situations, and have had the habit of referring to it by that term.
        > I generally try to replace fear with what Beck called "courage" in
        > the XP values, which I take to be a bit stronger than mere
        > acceptance, in that it is founded in readiness and preparation for
        > the situation.
        >
        > Like you, I do not see trust as the necessary "replacement" for
        > fear, or even as a desirable one.
        >
        > Judgment is a term that troubles some people, as they see judging as
        > somehow bad. I myself do not, seeing it more as an ongoing process
        > of observing and sorting out reality.
        Yes, the term judgement has a conitation that implies coming to a
        quick decision without obtaining all the facts. For example in the
        sentence "Don't judge me, after all you don't know me". In this sense
        then judgement can imply two value thinking, viewing the world in
        black and white and omitting the possibility of grey. I understand how
        you use the term judgement and I tend to agree. Using the term
        "discernment" can avoid the negative conitations associated with the
        word judgement.

        > Your use of the term "discernment" is interesting, and I would say
        > that by my understanding of the word, it feels right for the
        > replacement of either trust or fear with a better state.
        > Unfortunately (in my view) the term has become imbued with religious
        > connotations that trouble me a bit with respect to its potential use
        > in team situations.
        >
        > My plan is to try to ignore those scents and experiment with using
        > the term. I think it better expresses some of my thinking than
        > whatever words I have been using in the past.

        Yes, those sents are cultural I believe. In the West any talk of
        spirituality or spiritual teaching is quickly related to Religion and
        Relgious dogma.

        I guess it's got to do with our Judo-Christian heritage. In some
        cultures spiritual ideas are not related to religion at all. For
        example I'm sure that native Americans would refer to these ideas as
        Wisdom.

        > So thanks!
        >
        > > How do we get to this state? Well to be free of fear implies inner
        peace.

        > Is inner peace the only way to be free of fear? I would think not.
        > It's a good way, though.

        Yes, I'm sure there are other ways. The ones I know about all tend to
        be related. For example it is difficult to achieve a sense of inner
        peace, without some degree of inner strength (or courage as you would
        describe it).

        I'm glad you found this useful. There are more gems of wisdom on the
        Brahma Kumaris website for those with an open mind.

        http://www.bkwsu.com/

        Paul.