Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Algorithm for Sprint Burn Down Extrapolation

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
      On Monday, January 2, 2006, at 8:52:01 AM, Jason Almeter wrote:

      > I like using several projections. We are not running full scrum, so I
      > usually only have data on a weekly basis. I have projected the burn
      > down with one week, two week, one month, and one quarter of data. All
      > of these on a plot together help call out changes in the burn rate.
      > One of my recent victories was getting a team to see that we were in
      > trouble and then watching them brutally cut scope until we were back
      > on track.

      Well, in a quarter, you should be done. ;->

      I'd be interested to see one of your charts to get a sense of what
      they look like and how they call out changes in the burn rate.

      I'd also be interested in understanding why there are substantial
      changes in the burn rate ...

      Perhaps this Silver Bullet will tell you who I am ...
    • Dave Bly
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006

        Here’s one simple approach:  If you are charting your burndown on an Excel chart, right-click on the data plot line and select “Add Trendline” to show a simple least-squares fit. It will extrapolate that fit line to the end of the chart, i.e. the number of plat point on the X axis.  -- Dave

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
          Just like Ron I'd be interested to learn more about your approach. I
          don't understand how looking at more then one week gives you
          information about successful completion of a sprint/iteration. But
          then, where Ron is stubborn, I am Dutch so that may explain it :-)

          --Hubert