Re: Monocoque as a metaphore for describing simplicity in architecture

  • news.gmane.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi Keith

      > Overbuilding parts resulting from engineering functions independently is
      > not agile. How

      Yep! I think that is the message.

      > about TDD to the rescue? We had a project where the electrical
      > engineers insisted on
      > error checking all input even after software pointed out there was only
      > one prevalidated
      > input stream - supposedly already validated. The EE's imagined their
      > product was going
      > to be sold independently. The result was SLOW.

      I think we have all experienced something like this. It is very
      difficult to explain to someone doing it why what they are doing is
      sub-optimal - after all they think they are doing a 'good job'. What do
      you say to them?

      > I think it misdirection take words describing monocoque advantages and
      > apply them directly
      > to software. The words are not the advantages. I'd venture to suppose,
      > before analysis, that
      > compact and strength mean very different things to autos, software,
      > software development
      > and software maintenance.

      Automobiles and software are very different, but people and teams who
      build them have similar behaviours.

      Daniel