Scrum Certification

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2003
      I want to thank everyone for their ideas and thoughts regarding
      certification. I've tried to take it all into account in fashioning
      something that will strengthen the application of Scrum. For the
      lastest thinking, look at http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
      If you are interested in obtaining an early copy of the Scrum
      Product, signup for the class in Chicago on May 12. It will be a long
      two days, but your time is so valuable I didn't want to stretch it to
      three days.
      Ken
    • Øystein Mehus
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11, 2003
        On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:50:07 -0000, Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
        wrote:

        > I want to thank everyone for their ideas and thoughts regarding
        > certification. I've tried to take it all into account in fashioning
        > something that will strengthen the application of Scrum. For the lastest
        > thinking, look at http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
        > If you are interested in obtaining an early copy of the Scrum Product,
        > signup for the class in Chicago on May 12. It will be a long two days,
        > but your time is so valuable I didn't want to stretch it to three days.

        Scrum - CertifiedScrum...

        So, until my company sees fit to get certified and acquire an
        Organizational license, I take it we can no longer say that we're using
        Scrum as our development methodology? Likewise, until I get certified as a
        ScrumMaster, I should not refer to myself as such?

        Any chance a ScrumMasterMaster is coming to Europe to certify soon? :-)
        --
        Øystein
      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 11, 2003
          Thanks for the chance to clear up misapprehensions. Scrum is public domain -
          developed, contributed to, and used by many people and organizations. The
          values, practices, and nomenclature belong to all of us and none of us. Many
          of them, to my delight, are using it successfully. As Scrum moves to the
          mainstream, however, some are not being so successful. Upon investigation,
          it appears that this is because only parts of Scrum were being applied or
          some practices, like the daily Scrum, were even being misapplied.

          To try to provide more structure and formality to those organizations that
          need it to be successful with Scrum, some of us have developed a Scrum
          methodology, software, and training materials. To give an idea of the
          formality, the methodology is already two hundred pages, whereas the book
          was only 150. The methodology gives a lot more advice, like how to plan
          Scrum projects, how to scale them, how to apply Scrum to various types of
          applications and systems, etc. This Scrum product is what's being licensed.
          The certified scrummaster is a person that has been trained in this formal
          Scrum methodology and has a copy of it to use at these organizations.

          For instance, one organization that is an early adopter of Scrum is getting
          the formal methodology and product because they want to customize it to
          include all of their practices that augment Scrum, like project proposal
          artifacts. They also want to build a formal training program for all
          developers and managers, so they will build on the one that we provide them.

          Without the formal methodology and the certified scrummaster training, etc.,
          lots of people will continue to intelligently and wisely apply Scrum to
          their projects and development. I will be one of them and will continue to
          put my efforts to extending and explaining why and how Scrum works.

          Others, that want a more formal approach and want to hire people who have
          been trained in the formal approach will use the formal Scrum product.

          I regret any misunderstandings. I'm extending Scrum to the masses, no
          coopting a shared idea and set of values.

          I'm working with Marco Abis to arrange training on this stuff in southern
          Europe. If you would help me arrange something for northern Europe, I'd
          appreciate it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
            On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 18:09:23 -0500, Ken Schwaber <ken.schwaber@...>
            wrote:

            > I regret any misunderstandings. I'm extending Scrum to the masses, no
            > coopting a shared idea and set of values.

            Glad to hear that; I expected that was the case :-)

            > I'm working with Marco Abis to arrange training on this stuff in southern
            > Europe. If you would help me arrange something for northern Europe, I'd
            > appreciate it.

            OK, tell me what you need and I'll figure out if and how I can assist. I
            presume you'd like to do northern Europe in conjunction with your visit to
            southern Europe; when would that be?
            --
            Øystein
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
              The best times coming up are mid-June, or any time in July. The trips don't
              have to be coordinated.

              What I'm looking for is a minimum of 10 attendees, no more than 20. I
              suppose we can use the various agile groups in Europe to announce a date. I
              then need a convenient place for us all to meet, probably a hotel room in a
              city that you know. After than a data projector that I can connect to a PC
              and we are set and ready.

              Let me know if you think you can help with any of this. You may want to
              contact Marco to see what he is doing (abis@...).
              Ken

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 13, 2003
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber" <ken.
                schwaber@v...> wrote:

                > The best times coming up are mid-June, or any time in July. The
                trips don't

                > have to be coordinated.

                OK, then I'm afraid I cannot help out this time. We have an SAT by the
                end of May, so presumably I'll be tied up working on a punch list
                until I go on vacation in July.

                --

                Oystein
              • Scott Worley
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 14, 2003
                  Oh if only I could get out of china... Maybe soon...

                  I would love to come Ken, seriously, but my commitments and multiple
                  projects make it had to travel to europe at the moment, even though going
                  bakc to the UK for a while would be nice (home wet rainy cold home :) )

                  Scott Worley

                  > The best times coming up are mid-June, or any time in July. The trips
                  don't
                  > have to be coordinated.
                  >
                  > What I'm looking for is a minimum of 10 attendees, no more than 20. I
                  > suppose we can use the various agile groups in Europe to announce a date.
                  > then need a convenient place for us all to meet, probably a hotel room in
                  > city that you know. After than a data projector that I can connect to a PC
                  > and we are set and ready.
                  >
                  > Let me know if you think you can help with any of this. You may want to
                  > contact Marco to see what he is doing (abis@...).
                  > Ken

                • rwaltersiii
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2003
                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
                    > I want to thank everyone for their ideas and thoughts regarding
                    > certification. I've tried to take it all into account in fashioning
                    > something that will strengthen the application of Scrum. For the
                    > lastest thinking, look at http://www.controlchaos.com/certifiedscrum/
                    > If you are interested in obtaining an early copy of the Scrum
                    > Product, signup for the class in Chicago on May 12. It will be a long
                    > two days, but your time is so valuable I didn't want to stretch it to
                    > three days.
                    > Ken
                    I sent an email to register, but I have not received any confirmation,
                    nor further instructions. In order to attend I will need to make
                    travel arrangements. Please confirm my registration and let us know
                    how things are firming up for the certification class.

                    Regards,

                    Rusty Walters
                  • Ken Schwaber
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 27, 2003
                      Consider yourself confirmed. I will send more details next week. The certification class is definitely on.
                      Ken