Re: [scrumdevelopment] Coaching a developer away from being spoon-fed

  • Martine Devos
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
      My twopence.

      Could not be the problem that some of us do not want to be empowered as in "empower them" not by younger and not by older people.   Maybe sometimes we just try to hard.

      I met a great scrummaster a couple of weeks ago, in Sweden, and a great team.  Low profile.  Taking hurdles away.  Serving.   Speaking up to management when needed.   And the team -- and he -- come out of a command and control culture.  They just had a training in TDD...  He just did not try too hard.   Stepping back and creating space for empowered teams.

      Some of this empowerment (and helping our teams) sound so paternalizing,   Empowerment is great.  AND empowerment is one of the most abuzed, misunderstood words.

      I started using dis-disempowerment a while ago.  Not that makes much difference.  It does give me the intro to saying what I think about empowering though.

      Sometimes I dis-empower myself -- give up my power to think for myself, to feel for myself, to say what I think and not what I think I am supposed to say, to take risks on my own behalf ...  (I am paraphrasing Virginia Satir).
      Once I see that I get my power back.  I may still be scared, I may decide not to say that I need training, or that I am not gonna finish as promissed...  But I do that consciously,  Not because someone has power over me.
      Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.
      I do not get it back because someone tells me I empowered, or because someone tells me it is safe to speak...  I get it back when I face my fears and act anyway.  And it is great to learn that I/we are not the only person with fears.

      Martine

      "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:
      Simon Baker wrote:
      > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
      > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
      > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
      > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
      > and control environment?

      Here is what I am usually doing.

      First of all do not pay much heed to the developer, but carefully analyze what
      environment they are in and what environment do they come from? Make sure you
      understand the professional history of that person before you take further steps.

      The environments I have been experiencing usually put a lot of pressure on the
      chain of command and being spoon fed ensured that you could not really go
      wrong when you did exactly as told. Is there fear? Fear comes in many stages
      and at many stages. Does that developer simply fear? For his job? For being
      wrong? For not being accepted by peers? For becoming an impediment (not
      realizing he might already be one)?

      I think there have been written enough book on the component of social
      security, peer interaction, personal fears and the like that this does not
      need to be revisited. "Fearless change" being one of them.

      Now, what about the team? Are they not interested in coaching that person? Why
      would you bother? Are you part of the team? Did the team ask you to look into
      the matter? Is there a reason the team cannot employ various measures to
      ensure that this team member meets _their_ standards (as opposed to yours).
      There are, as mentioned, things as exposure, peer pressure, even humiliation
      and much worse, exposure of being unable to do something because you refused
      to employ your common sense.

      I would guess my answer is: Empower them. Give them the feeling that it is
      their good right to expose their needs and to think again. To speak up and
      make themselves heard. That is a complicated process and what I mentioned
      above is only parts of it. Personally I do not think that there is "a
      technique" or a set of them that can be employed. Individuals and the
      surrounding environment are just too unique for that.

      Alas, I am young and inexperienced so do not pay too much heed to my advise.

      -d

      Martine Devos
      mmdevos@...
      skype: mmdevos1953
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
        On Thursday, December 1, 2005, at 12:23:05 PM, Martine Devos wrote:

        > Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.

        Rock on, Martine!

        We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
        -- Chet Hendrickson
        You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
        -- Ron Jeffries
      • Victor Szalvay
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
          This is a tough situation and no single solution could possibly apply
          to all teams.

          My solution to these problems in the past might be perceived as hard
          line but it's worked for me: just let the team fail the sprint and
          resist the temptation of getting "involved". Nothing shakes the core
          of the team like a very public failure in front of the PO, other
          teams, management, etc.

          Of course this assumes you've explained to them that "things are
          different now" and that ultimately the team itself is responsible for
          the success of the sprint. If they run into problems they should
          voice impediments which they should help each other to solve or
          escalate. Short of unresolved impediments getting in the way, they
          are responsible for success... etc...

          I too have noticed a tendency for some engineers/team members to "not
          believe" that this is a real change and that they are defacto the
          managers of themselves. Some people seem to think, well if it gets
          bad enough some real manager will jump in. To me, the worst thing you
          can do in this situation as a manager is get involved.

          -- Victor Szalvay
          Danube Technologies, Inc.
          http://www.danube.com

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Baker"
          <simonbaker@t...> wrote:

          > What if the whole team is struggling with its new empowered status and
          > is failing to become self-organising because everyone has come from a
          > command and control structure?

        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
            "dis-disempower" is an excellent term.  I hope you do not mind if I use it from time to time.

            "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:
            Simon Baker wrote:
            > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
            > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
            > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
            > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
            > and control environment?

            Here is what I am usually doing.

            First of all do not pay much heed to the developer, but carefully analyze what
            environment they are in and what environment do they come from? Make sure you
            understand the professional history of that person before you take further steps.

            The environments I have been experiencing usually put a lot of pressure on the
            chain of command and being spoon fed ensured that you could not really go
            wrong when you did exactly as told. Is there fear? Fear comes in many stages
            and at many stages. Does that developer simply fear? For his job? For being
            wrong? For not being accepted by peers? For becoming an impediment (not
            realizing he might already be one)?

            I think there have been written enough book on the component of social
            security, peer interaction, personal fears and the like that this does not
            need to be revisited. "Fearless change" being one of them.

            Now, what about the team? Are they not interested in coaching that person? Why
            would you bother? Are you part of the team? Did the team ask you to look into
            the matter? Is there a reason the team cannot employ various measures to
            ensure that this team member meets _their_ standards (as opposed to yours).
            There are, as mentioned, things as exposure, peer pressure, even humiliation
            and much worse, exposure of being unable to do something because you refused
            to employ your common sense.

            I would guess my answer is: Empower them. Give them the feeling that it is
            their good right to expose their needs and to think again. To speak up and
            make themselves heard. That is a complicated process and what I mentioned
            above is only parts of it. Personally I do not think that there is "a
            technique" or a set of them that can be employed. Individuals and the
            surrounding environment are just too unique for that.

            Alas, I am young and inexperienced so do not pay too much heed to my advise.

            -d

            Martine Devos
            mmdevos@...
            skype: mmdevos1953

          • Clinton Keith
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005

              Hi Simon,

              From our experience: it sounds like you're at a natural step of adopting
              Agile. You recognize that this is important (which is great), but it
              takes time for teams to shed the fear of C&C and gain the courage of
              ownership.

              Keep looking at the way to use the simple Scrum practices. Some random
              suggestions:
              - Let them fail (as Victor suggests)
              - Even if you can intervene and avoid the failure.
              - Review the product value, not the tasks.
              - Praise value...focus more on that than their just
              accomplishing all the stories in the backlog "just to be done".
              - Address the entire team, not just your senior people at meetings.
              - Don't talk in Scrums (if you are a chicken)
              - Focus on solving impediments that are yours to solve.

              Just keep focusing on the practices and improving practices once a
              sprint. This is as much of an education for you as it is for the teams.
              One day (it took us over 18 months) the teams will begin to take
              ownership and you'll find a whole new gear you never knew they had.

              Enjoy,
              Clint
              www.agilegamedevelopment.com
            • Nick Xidis
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                I don't know if there's a good prescription for this ill but, here's my 2 cents.

                Visibility, Success & Honesty

                Make actual performance (or the lack) visible to the whole team. Post it on the wall, talk about it in daily meetings. Don't try to hard to jump in and "fix" this person's issues. Give him/her some time and space to work it out, you're asking him/her to do a very uncomfortable thing and it may take a while before they understand their new role. If you make it visible, the team will work it out (some times with a little coaching)

                Nothing gets folks to change quicker than having actual success. I've had multiple experiences with teams adopting agile and it's a struggle to hold it together until there's a success. Everybody needs to have the "ah ha" moment where they finally get it -- they see how the pieces fit together. One of the hardest things an agile team leader has to do is keep the team and the agile process together long enough to have success.

                Your developer needs to know that you're completely honest. Both with him and what's going on with your projects. Even if its unpleasant, none of the rest matters if they don't trust what your about.

                I know this is not a technique focused as you might have expected -- sorry, I was in a philosophical mood.

                On 12/1/05, Simon Baker <simonbaker@...> wrote:
                What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                and control environment?

                Scrum

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                --
                  Nick Xidis
                  nxidis@...

                  We are here to make another world. (Deming)
              • David H.
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Martine Devos wrote:
                  > My twopence.
                  >
                  > Could not be the problem that some of us do not want to be empowered as in "empower them" not by younger and not by older people. Maybe sometimes we just try to hard.
                  >
                  > I met a great scrummaster a couple of weeks ago, in Sweden, and a great team. Low profile. Taking hurdles away. Serving. Speaking up to management when needed. And the team -- and he -- come out of a command and control culture. They just had a training in TDD... He just did not try too hard. Stepping back and creating space for empowered teams.
                  >
                  > Some of this empowerment (and helping our teams) sound so paternalizing, Empowerment is great. AND empowerment is one of the most abuzed, misunderstood words.
                  >
                  > I started using dis-disempowerment a while ago. Not that makes much difference. It does give me the intro to saying what I think about empowering though.
                  >
                  > Sometimes I dis-empower myself -- give up my power to think for myself, to feel for myself, to say what I think and not what I think I am supposed to say, to take risks on my own behalf ... (I am paraphrasing Virginia Satir).
                  > Once I see that I get my power back. I may still be scared, I may decide not to say that I need training, or that I am not gonna finish as promissed... But I do that consciously, Not because someone has power over me.
                  > Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.
                  Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                  is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.
                  I do think I understand the word "to empower" a bite differently, mainly
                  because I am not a native speaker. To me it means that you do everything in
                  your power to ensure that a team or an individual has that cosy warm feeling
                  he needs to unfold.

                  -d
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                    On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 3:40:04 PM, David H. wrote:

                    > Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                    > is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.

                    I would suggest, and I hope, with some confidence, that Martine
                    would agree with me here, that each individual has much power beyond
                    what was handed to them.

                    Speculation or experimentation - which is more likely to give the correct answer?
                  • David H.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                      Ron Jeffries wrote:
                      > On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 3:40:04 PM, David H. wrote:
                      >
                      >> Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                      >> is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.
                      >
                      > I would suggest, and I hope, with some confidence, that Martine
                      > would agree with me here, that each individual has much power beyond
                      > what was handed to them.

                      In what context? Within a fixed organisational structure or as an individual?
                      When I do not know the passwords to the employers database because my job
                      description does not grant me access to that information, then I simply do not
                      have that info and it can only be given to me.

                      If you are referring to the power within ourselves that we often do not
                      utilise because we are scared or because we forgot about it, then I can only
                      agree whole heartedly.

                      -d

                      PS: I apologise for nit-picking.
                    • Dave Bly
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005

                        Two more cents for the kitty:

                        “Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                        is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.”

                        Remember that there is more than one kind of power.  Position power, that ascribed to you by your position, may need to be given to you, but personal power is something that you all have, regardless of the position you hold.  Personal power, that power accruing to you by your ability to perform well and consistently, articulate clearly, persuade effectively and negotiate diplomatically is yours to use, even in a command and control environment.  I have found that personal power is more effective in the long run than position power any day. And it often determines the amount of position power you are granted over the long run.

                        “Stepping back and creating space for  empowered teams.”

                        Do any of you have teenaged or young adult children?  I think there are interesting parallels between raising young adults and managing empowered teams. Often, they may not listen up front and follow the guidance you offer. They have to stub their toes a few times to see the light for themselves.  “Storming” if you will.  But the payoff is worth it, resulting in more mature and reasoned team decision making.  The trick is to find ways that they can learn from their failures in small, non-destructive ways first and then gradually increase the thresholds as they grow.

                        Dave

                        - “Knowledge is power.” – Sir Francis Bacon