Re: [scrumdevelopment] Coaching a developer away from being spoon-fed

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
      Promote him to project manager???

      On 12/1/05, Simon Baker <simonbaker@...> wrote:
      What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
      developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
      part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
      and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
      and control environment?

    • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
        List them as an impediment

        --
        Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

        The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

      • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
          List them as an impediment

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
            List them as an impediment

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
              List them as an impediment

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                Sorry my fingers were arguing with my eyes as to whether this email was sent.  Thus proving that the hand is faster than the eye, but not still need coffee in the morning to see straight.

                --
                Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

                The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

                List them as an impediment

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                  Sorry my fingers were arguing with my eyes as to whether this email was sent.  Thus proving that the hand is faster than the eye, but not still need coffee in the morning to see straight.

                  --
                  Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

                  The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

                  List them as an impediment

                  --
                  Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

                  The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

                  > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                  > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                  > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                  > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                  > and control environment?

                  > Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
                  > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • David H.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Simon Baker wrote:
                    > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                    > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                    > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                    > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                    > and control environment?

                    Here is what I am usually doing.

                    First of all do not pay much heed to the developer, but carefully analyze what
                    environment they are in and what environment do they come from? Make sure you
                    understand the professional history of that person before you take further steps.

                    The environments I have been experiencing usually put a lot of pressure on the
                    chain of command and being spoon fed ensured that you could not really go
                    wrong when you did exactly as told. Is there fear? Fear comes in many stages
                    and at many stages. Does that developer simply fear? For his job? For being
                    wrong? For not being accepted by peers? For becoming an impediment (not
                    realizing he might already be one)?

                    I think there have been written enough book on the component of social
                    security, peer interaction, personal fears and the like that this does not
                    need to be revisited. "Fearless change" being one of them.

                    Now, what about the team? Are they not interested in coaching that person? Why
                    would you bother? Are you part of the team? Did the team ask you to look into
                    the matter? Is there a reason the team cannot employ various measures to
                    ensure that this team member meets _their_ standards (as opposed to yours).
                    There are, as mentioned, things as exposure, peer pressure, even humiliation
                    and much worse, exposure of being unable to do something because you refused
                    to employ your common sense.

                    I would guess my answer is: Empower them. Give them the feeling that it is
                    their good right to expose their needs and to think again. To speak up and
                    make themselves heard. That is a complicated process and what I mentioned
                    above is only parts of it. Personally I do not think that there is "a
                    technique" or a set of them that can be employed. Individuals and the
                    surrounding environment are just too unique for that.

                    Alas, I am young and inexperienced so do not pay too much heed to my advise.

                    -d
                  • Simon Baker
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                      What if the whole team is struggling with its new empowered status and
                      is failing to become self-organising because everyone has come from a
                      command and control structure?

                      > Direct confrontation, i.e. "Alex, let's have a talk. You seem to avoid
                      > being proactive and ..." Many people want to succeed and hate to be in
                      > an oppressive environment, and they just need to be made aware.
                      >
                      > Peer pressure is a remarkable motivator, and daily scrums can provide a
                      > framework in which a passive, positive peer pressure can be applied.
                      > This assumes, of course, that you have peers that exhibit the desired
                      > behavior.
                      >
                      > Pair programming helps with accountability and activity, pro- or not.
                      > It's hard to screw off if you are accountable to your pairing partner.
                      >
                      > Figure out what motivates him, what gets him excited, what he enjoys,
                      > and then try to create opportunities for him to do that.
                      >
                      > Terminate them and hire someone who doesn't require handholding.

                    • Martine Devos
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                        My twopence.

                        Could not be the problem that some of us do not want to be empowered as in "empower them" not by younger and not by older people.   Maybe sometimes we just try to hard.

                        I met a great scrummaster a couple of weeks ago, in Sweden, and a great team.  Low profile.  Taking hurdles away.  Serving.   Speaking up to management when needed.   And the team -- and he -- come out of a command and control culture.  They just had a training in TDD...  He just did not try too hard.   Stepping back and creating space for empowered teams.

                        Some of this empowerment (and helping our teams) sound so paternalizing,   Empowerment is great.  AND empowerment is one of the most abuzed, misunderstood words.

                        I started using dis-disempowerment a while ago.  Not that makes much difference.  It does give me the intro to saying what I think about empowering though.

                        Sometimes I dis-empower myself -- give up my power to think for myself, to feel for myself, to say what I think and not what I think I am supposed to say, to take risks on my own behalf ...  (I am paraphrasing Virginia Satir).
                        Once I see that I get my power back.  I may still be scared, I may decide not to say that I need training, or that I am not gonna finish as promissed...  But I do that consciously,  Not because someone has power over me.
                        Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.
                        I do not get it back because someone tells me I empowered, or because someone tells me it is safe to speak...  I get it back when I face my fears and act anyway.  And it is great to learn that I/we are not the only person with fears.

                        Martine

                        "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:
                        Simon Baker wrote:
                        > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                        > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                        > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                        > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                        > and control environment?

                        Here is what I am usually doing.

                        First of all do not pay much heed to the developer, but carefully analyze what
                        environment they are in and what environment do they come from? Make sure you
                        understand the professional history of that person before you take further steps.

                        The environments I have been experiencing usually put a lot of pressure on the
                        chain of command and being spoon fed ensured that you could not really go
                        wrong when you did exactly as told. Is there fear? Fear comes in many stages
                        and at many stages. Does that developer simply fear? For his job? For being
                        wrong? For not being accepted by peers? For becoming an impediment (not
                        realizing he might already be one)?

                        I think there have been written enough book on the component of social
                        security, peer interaction, personal fears and the like that this does not
                        need to be revisited. "Fearless change" being one of them.

                        Now, what about the team? Are they not interested in coaching that person? Why
                        would you bother? Are you part of the team? Did the team ask you to look into
                        the matter? Is there a reason the team cannot employ various measures to
                        ensure that this team member meets _their_ standards (as opposed to yours).
                        There are, as mentioned, things as exposure, peer pressure, even humiliation
                        and much worse, exposure of being unable to do something because you refused
                        to employ your common sense.

                        I would guess my answer is: Empower them. Give them the feeling that it is
                        their good right to expose their needs and to think again. To speak up and
                        make themselves heard. That is a complicated process and what I mentioned
                        above is only parts of it. Personally I do not think that there is "a
                        technique" or a set of them that can be employed. Individuals and the
                        surrounding environment are just too unique for that.

                        Alas, I am young and inexperienced so do not pay too much heed to my advise.

                        -d

                        Martine Devos
                        mmdevos@...
                        skype: mmdevos1953
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                          On Thursday, December 1, 2005, at 12:23:05 PM, Martine Devos wrote:

                          > Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.

                          Rock on, Martine!

                          We know less about the project today than at any time in the future.
                          -- Chet Hendrickson
                          You mean today is the dumbest day of the rest of my life?
                          -- Ron Jeffries
                        • Victor Szalvay
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                            This is a tough situation and no single solution could possibly apply
                            to all teams.

                            My solution to these problems in the past might be perceived as hard
                            line but it's worked for me: just let the team fail the sprint and
                            resist the temptation of getting "involved". Nothing shakes the core
                            of the team like a very public failure in front of the PO, other
                            teams, management, etc.

                            Of course this assumes you've explained to them that "things are
                            different now" and that ultimately the team itself is responsible for
                            the success of the sprint. If they run into problems they should
                            voice impediments which they should help each other to solve or
                            escalate. Short of unresolved impediments getting in the way, they
                            are responsible for success... etc...

                            I too have noticed a tendency for some engineers/team members to "not
                            believe" that this is a real change and that they are defacto the
                            managers of themselves. Some people seem to think, well if it gets
                            bad enough some real manager will jump in. To me, the worst thing you
                            can do in this situation as a manager is get involved.

                            -- Victor Szalvay
                            Danube Technologies, Inc.
                            http://www.danube.com

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Baker"
                            <simonbaker@t...> wrote:

                            > What if the whole team is struggling with its new empowered status and
                            > is failing to become self-organising because everyone has come from a
                            > command and control structure?

                          • Steven Gordon
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                              "dis-disempower" is an excellent term.  I hope you do not mind if I use it from time to time.

                              "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:
                              Simon Baker wrote:
                              > What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                              > developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                              > part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                              > and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                              > and control environment?

                              Here is what I am usually doing.

                              First of all do not pay much heed to the developer, but carefully analyze what
                              environment they are in and what environment do they come from? Make sure you
                              understand the professional history of that person before you take further steps.

                              The environments I have been experiencing usually put a lot of pressure on the
                              chain of command and being spoon fed ensured that you could not really go
                              wrong when you did exactly as told. Is there fear? Fear comes in many stages
                              and at many stages. Does that developer simply fear? For his job? For being
                              wrong? For not being accepted by peers? For becoming an impediment (not
                              realizing he might already be one)?

                              I think there have been written enough book on the component of social
                              security, peer interaction, personal fears and the like that this does not
                              need to be revisited. "Fearless change" being one of them.

                              Now, what about the team? Are they not interested in coaching that person? Why
                              would you bother? Are you part of the team? Did the team ask you to look into
                              the matter? Is there a reason the team cannot employ various measures to
                              ensure that this team member meets _their_ standards (as opposed to yours).
                              There are, as mentioned, things as exposure, peer pressure, even humiliation
                              and much worse, exposure of being unable to do something because you refused
                              to employ your common sense.

                              I would guess my answer is: Empower them. Give them the feeling that it is
                              their good right to expose their needs and to think again. To speak up and
                              make themselves heard. That is a complicated process and what I mentioned
                              above is only parts of it. Personally I do not think that there is "a
                              technique" or a set of them that can be employed. Individuals and the
                              surrounding environment are just too unique for that.

                              Alas, I am young and inexperienced so do not pay too much heed to my advise.

                              -d

                              Martine Devos
                              mmdevos@...
                              skype: mmdevos1953

                            • Clinton Keith
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005

                                Hi Simon,

                                From our experience: it sounds like you're at a natural step of adopting
                                Agile. You recognize that this is important (which is great), but it
                                takes time for teams to shed the fear of C&C and gain the courage of
                                ownership.

                                Keep looking at the way to use the simple Scrum practices. Some random
                                suggestions:
                                - Let them fail (as Victor suggests)
                                - Even if you can intervene and avoid the failure.
                                - Review the product value, not the tasks.
                                - Praise value...focus more on that than their just
                                accomplishing all the stories in the backlog "just to be done".
                                - Address the entire team, not just your senior people at meetings.
                                - Don't talk in Scrums (if you are a chicken)
                                - Focus on solving impediments that are yours to solve.

                                Just keep focusing on the practices and improving practices once a
                                sprint. This is as much of an education for you as it is for the teams.
                                One day (it took us over 18 months) the teams will begin to take
                                ownership and you'll find a whole new gear you never knew they had.

                                Enjoy,
                                Clint
                                www.agilegamedevelopment.com
                              • Nick Xidis
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 1, 2005
                                  I don't know if there's a good prescription for this ill but, here's my 2 cents.

                                  Visibility, Success & Honesty

                                  Make actual performance (or the lack) visible to the whole team. Post it on the wall, talk about it in daily meetings. Don't try to hard to jump in and "fix" this person's issues. Give him/her some time and space to work it out, you're asking him/her to do a very uncomfortable thing and it may take a while before they understand their new role. If you make it visible, the team will work it out (some times with a little coaching)

                                  Nothing gets folks to change quicker than having actual success. I've had multiple experiences with teams adopting agile and it's a struggle to hold it together until there's a success. Everybody needs to have the "ah ha" moment where they finally get it -- they see how the pieces fit together. One of the hardest things an agile team leader has to do is keep the team and the agile process together long enough to have success.

                                  Your developer needs to know that you're completely honest. Both with him and what's going on with your projects. Even if its unpleasant, none of the rest matters if they don't trust what your about.

                                  I know this is not a technique focused as you might have expected -- sorry, I was in a philosophical mood.

                                  On 12/1/05, Simon Baker <simonbaker@...> wrote:
                                  What techniques have people successfully employed to encourage a
                                  developer to be more responsible and decisive and to be a proactive
                                  part of an emerging self-organising team, when he has become used to
                                  and comfortable with being spoon-fed by a project manager in a command
                                  and control environment?

                                  Scrum

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  --
                                    Nick Xidis
                                    nxidis@...

                                    We are here to make another world. (Deming)
                                • David H.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                                    Martine Devos wrote:
                                    > My twopence.
                                    >
                                    > Could not be the problem that some of us do not want to be empowered as in "empower them" not by younger and not by older people. Maybe sometimes we just try to hard.
                                    >
                                    > I met a great scrummaster a couple of weeks ago, in Sweden, and a great team. Low profile. Taking hurdles away. Serving. Speaking up to management when needed. And the team -- and he -- come out of a command and control culture. They just had a training in TDD... He just did not try too hard. Stepping back and creating space for empowered teams.
                                    >
                                    > Some of this empowerment (and helping our teams) sound so paternalizing, Empowerment is great. AND empowerment is one of the most abuzed, misunderstood words.
                                    >
                                    > I started using dis-disempowerment a while ago. Not that makes much difference. It does give me the intro to saying what I think about empowering though.
                                    >
                                    > Sometimes I dis-empower myself -- give up my power to think for myself, to feel for myself, to say what I think and not what I think I am supposed to say, to take risks on my own behalf ... (I am paraphrasing Virginia Satir).
                                    > Once I see that I get my power back. I may still be scared, I may decide not to say that I need training, or that I am not gonna finish as promissed... But I do that consciously, Not because someone has power over me.
                                    > Nobody takes my power away, nobody gives it back to me.
                                    Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                                    is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.
                                    I do think I understand the word "to empower" a bite differently, mainly
                                    because I am not a native speaker. To me it means that you do everything in
                                    your power to ensure that a team or an individual has that cosy warm feeling
                                    he needs to unfold.

                                    -d
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                                      On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 3:40:04 PM, David H. wrote:

                                      > Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                                      > is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.

                                      I would suggest, and I hope, with some confidence, that Martine
                                      would agree with me here, that each individual has much power beyond
                                      what was handed to them.

                                      Speculation or experimentation - which is more likely to give the correct answer?
                                    • David H.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005
                                        Ron Jeffries wrote:
                                        > On Friday, December 2, 2005, at 3:40:04 PM, David H. wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                                        >> is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.
                                        >
                                        > I would suggest, and I hope, with some confidence, that Martine
                                        > would agree with me here, that each individual has much power beyond
                                        > what was handed to them.

                                        In what context? Within a fixed organisational structure or as an individual?
                                        When I do not know the passwords to the employers database because my job
                                        description does not grant me access to that information, then I simply do not
                                        have that info and it can only be given to me.

                                        If you are referring to the power within ourselves that we often do not
                                        utilise because we are scared or because we forgot about it, then I can only
                                        agree whole heartedly.

                                        -d

                                        PS: I apologise for nit-picking.
                                      • Dave Bly
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 2, 2005

                                          Two more cents for the kitty:

                                          “Before you can do that you need to have that power though. In a company which
                                          is driven by usual command and control someone had to give it to you.”

                                          Remember that there is more than one kind of power.  Position power, that ascribed to you by your position, may need to be given to you, but personal power is something that you all have, regardless of the position you hold.  Personal power, that power accruing to you by your ability to perform well and consistently, articulate clearly, persuade effectively and negotiate diplomatically is yours to use, even in a command and control environment.  I have found that personal power is more effective in the long run than position power any day. And it often determines the amount of position power you are granted over the long run.

                                          “Stepping back and creating space for  empowered teams.”

                                          Do any of you have teenaged or young adult children?  I think there are interesting parallels between raising young adults and managing empowered teams. Often, they may not listen up front and follow the guidance you offer. They have to stub their toes a few times to see the light for themselves.  “Storming” if you will.  But the payoff is worth it, resulting in more mature and reasoned team decision making.  The trick is to find ways that they can learn from their failures in small, non-destructive ways first and then gradually increase the thresholds as they grow.

                                          Dave

                                          - “Knowledge is power.” – Sir Francis Bacon