9496Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Can the scrummaster be a team member?

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Oct 6, 2005
      You all might profit from reading Esther Derby and Johanna Rothaman's new book  "Behind Closed Doors."

      --
      Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

      The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

      > Victor,
      >
      > I must be in a contrary mood this week. :)
      >
      > As someone who lives the Team Member/Scrum Master role every day, I can see
      > your point. But...
      >
      > Think about this though:
      >
      > Unless the organization is large enough to have several teams running at
      > the same time, there's really no way that SM is going to be a full time job
      > for anyone. That means that the SM is going to have to task switch. The
      > question is then - what's he doing when he's not SMing? Clearly, if he's
      > not on the team, then the project isn't going to suffer because he's not as
      > effecient at his other tasks. If he's on the team, however, he won't be
      > able to function as efficiently on the team as he would as a full time
      > member.
      >
      > If the SM is a team member, however, he is plugged into the Sprint
      > activities 100% of the time, and will probably have a better (and first
      > hand) knowledge of the what's going on. This is probably an advantage.
      >
      > We discarded some time ago any thought that I would be able to contribute
      > anything close to 1 full team member. As a matter of fact, we've come to
      > realize that SM activities are a whole lot more important than for me to do
      > than development tasks as a team member. For this reason, we've scaled
      > back how much of my time we schedule as available for development during
      > our Sprint planning.
      >
      > What is much, much harder for me to manage in the Scrum Master/Team Member
      > dual role is balancing the Team Leader/Manager aspects of the SM role with
      > being a Team Member. For instance, my biggest job in team meetings (other
      > than Scrums) is to shut up. I don't vote, or if I do, I vote last and vote
      > with the majority. That kind of thing.
      >
      > Dave Barrett,
      > Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company

      > Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic