9494Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Can the scrummaster be a team member?

  • Kris Gibson
    Oct 6 9:39 AM
      Interesting points. I would agree that multitasking
      is a detriment, but you can't have everything. I've
      found in special situations it has helped in the long
      run to do dual roles.

      I'm currently in the beginnings of implementing Scrum
      to my project team, with 5 programmers including me.
      Before Scrum, each programmer has been assigned a
      software product to develop. Yes this is dangerous
      but we had at the time 3 products needed and we had 3

      Eventually I needed to help out another developer on
      "their" product and found it impossible to manage
      because we both were bull-headed. I ran across Scrum
      and took most of the principles and applied them. I
      was essentially a SM and team member. At the same
      time I was developing my own software product. So
      really, I was SM, team member, and "solo" member of
      another product.

      Both software products were developed on time and free
      of major bugs. Our sponsor was happy. From those
      results, my project manager wanted me to be the
      software lead and have Scrum implemented to everyone.

      So now I'm in a predicament of implementing Scrum to
      solo programmers where I am the Scrum master and also
      a programmer. But this time, I've been able to
      convice my boss to join two programmers together to
      actually form a team. The game plan is after crutial
      iterations, I'll slowly fuse teams and get away from
      solo programmers.

      It took some sacrifice to do dual roles but it is
      possible to do effectively. I had no other choice;
      just do the best with what you've got.