9153Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: WIP

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Sep 1, 2005
      Ron:
      Observation:
      While getting the whip put down it the goal, a tactic that sometimes works is to have management perform self-flagelation by strictly limiting the amount of business assumptions the team and developers in particular can make.

      This can done by simply deferring to the business, those business rules that are not well enough understood to be expressed in boolean terms.  Many times the Product Owner (proxies in particular) has been squeezed by management to "use your best judgement" and the team ends up being guided by the product owner's 'best guess' unsupported by management.

      This also helps filter out 'wish list' functionality as management can't expect to see what they can't describe or vision well enough to build.

      --
      Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after another. ~Walter Elliott, The Spiritual Life

      The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground. ~Author Unknown

      > On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 8:59:12 AM, Mary Poppendieck wrote:
      >
      > > It is usually beyond the capability of a development team to limit the
      > > amount of work in its queue, but it is not beyond the capability of the
      > > management team to do so. A measurement of the cycle time from request to
      > > deployment does an good job of encouraging an organization's management to
      > > limit the amount of work it accepts to its capacity to respond. When this
      > > happens, customer requests flow through the system much faster, and this can
      > > result in a significant competitive advantage.
      >
      > While I agree entirely, Mary, on the notion of cycle time being key,
      > I've lived through a number of organizations where the management
      > team, faced with a long queue in development, would conclude that
      > development needs to go faster, and apply the whip.
      >
      > It seems to take a somewhat enlightened view to get to the next step
      > -- whatever that might be. How do we bring about that enlightenment,
      > and get those guys to put down the whip?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Sorry about your cow ... I didn't know she was sacred.

      > Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic