883RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: daily status blogs

  • Mike Cohn
    Feb 10, 2003
      I worked on a project that started in December 1994 and went through almost
      all of 1995. When I first got there the company admitted to having a "voice
      mail rather than email culture." I thought that was nuts because voice mail
      is so much more intrusive for most little communications. (I'm not saying
      I'm opposed to verbal communication, just that email can be so much better
      for little things.)

      So, this company didn't have a big reliance on email and I needed a system
      to do the things that Mary describes below--mostly, threaded discussion
      about issues and some way of noting when an issue had been resolved. We put
      Lotus Notes in place and it was phenomenal. I spent a few nights learning
      how to program for it and set up different databases, such as our "issues
      database." When issues were added you could indicate who needed to help
      resolve the issue (multiple people if you wanted) and each issue had a
      default set of people it started with. Each was subsequently notified via a
      Notes "inbox" (not email). As long as everyone logged into Notes once or
      more per day it worked great. I've never had as much success on a project
      with issue tracking and resolution.

      What killed it was that the company eventually settled on a Microsoft email
      server and client and the whole company started using email for all the
      little issues that had been going into Notes. I doubt things would have been
      better if we'd used Lotus' cc:Mail product as the cause was the increased
      use of email, not any specific product. Gradually people stopped using Notes
      at all (and by then we were on to new projects). It was fantastic while it
      lasted but with everyone so addicted to email today (count me among the
      worst) it seems so much harder to achieve today due to the reasons Mary
      points out below.

      -Mike