746Re: The Essence of Agile and Scrum

  • Alan Shalloway <alshall@netobjectives.co
    Dec 10, 2002
      Linda:
      It is "all connected." However, I believe Craig's observation is
      still correct -- as is yours. In fact, together, they give the
      insight that we use to institute agile in a company that is not
      currently doing agile. We say: let's get short, time-boxed cycles
      in. OK, now that we know we have to do this, what things must we do
      to facilitate this (this is usually a scope problem). What things
      can we do to facilitate this (there is always low-hanging fruit).
      If we can't do monthly cycles (our preference) can we at least break
      the project up somewhat?

      This enables us to unfold the problem, so to speak. Do a little,
      see how it works and do some more.

      Alan Shalloway
      Net Objectives

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Linda Rising <risingl@a...>
      wrote:
      > John Muir, the founder of the Sierra Club said something like --
      when
      > you try to pick up any
      > one thing, you find it's connected to everything else in the
      universe :-)!

      > I've seen projects that were struggling unsuccessfully with short
      > timeboxed iterations -- what
      > saved them was Scrum meetings. I'm a real fan of those meetings.
      You
      > gotta have good
      > communication or those short timeboxed iterations deliver too many
      > surprises :-)!
      >
      > It's all connected, guys :-)!
      >

      > Craig Larman wrote:
      >
      > >I think I said something like "an iterative lifecycle of short
      timeboxed
      > >iterations is the most important ingredient in successful
      process."

      > >Consider an alternative: a 3 year waterfall project in which year
      1 is
      > >requirements analysis, year 2 is design, and year 3 is
      implementation.

      > >I claim that on such a project, you could throw all the pair
      > >programming, self-directed creative team, scrum meetings, test
      first
      > >development, etc at it you want, and it would still be very
      risky, and
      > >perhaps fail due to the myriad problems that arise from a
      sequential
      > >lifecycle of very long req -> des -> impl.
      > >

      > >I've seen lots of techniques and values in the 25 years I've been
      in the
      > >business, and nothing has more influence and implications than
      moving
      > >from "year 1 req, year 2 des, year 3 impl" to "from the start,
      when only
      > >partial reqs are known, incrementally build software in 4 week (or
      > >whatever) iterations." from that lifecycle practice arises
      explicitly or
      > >implicitly so much else in terms of PM, req analysis, adaptation,
      risk
      > >mgmt, prioritization, build tools and test practices,
      > >architecture/design, ...
      > >

      > >I think that in the modern promotion of "agile" methods, the old,
      > >venerable and key critical practice of short iterations rather
      than the
      > >waterfall, which dates back to the 70s in some enlightened camps,
      is the
      > >real magic sauce without which the other practices and values
      lose much
      > >power.
      > >

      > >As an aside, Dr. Vic Basili and I are writing "the history of
      iterative
      > >development" article for IEEE Computer. It is a fascinating
      history
      > >imho.
      > >
      > >Do any of you have contributions to the chronology and
      references? Input
      > >much appreciated at: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?HistoryOfIterative
      > >
      > >regards, craig

      such

      > >as a
      > >
      > >>buggy, poorly designed set of functionality that really never
      has a

      > >chance
      > >
      > >>of being "an increment of potentially shippable code."
      > >>
      > >>My thoughts,
      > >>Ken

      > >To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: scrumdevelopment-
      unsubscribe@e...

      > >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic