67RE: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM development in a multi-task environm ent

  • Leesa Haslam
    Nov 30, 2000
      Hi,

      You are correct in stating that one of the benefits of scrum is creating a
      focused environment for the team which allows them to do the most important
      thing and shields them from "chaos". So what can you do when "chaos" is the
      norm? Here are some ideas:

      - Decide what are the most important projects/tasks to accomplish. In other
      words, what absolutely must be done and done well? Do those things and let
      everything else fall off the plate. If you are having this problem you
      probably have much more that you can ever possible get done on your list
      anyway...

      - Create separate scrums for separate projects. Caution - if you find that
      people are involved in multiple scrums per day you may encounter resistance
      - "too much meeting time", in that case, see my next suggestion.

      - Have a single scrum that sets weekly goals for progressing all projects
      according to need and priority. The decision is made jointly how much
      time/effort to allocate to each project.

      My observation is that people are maximally productive when they are focused
      clearly on a single high priority project. The more context switching
      people are required to do, the less productive they become, doing the
      context switch consumes too much time and energy.

      Good luck!
      -Leesa