66Re: SCRUM development in a multi-task environment

  • Ken Schwaber
    Nov 30, 2000
      Scrums work well for teams with a high degree of cohesion and low
      dependencies on other teams. When the chaos in the environment is so
      high that you have to start cancelling sprints, however, reduce the
      length of the spints. Sometimes I lower the sprint length to as
      little as one week, and then - as things get more stable - start
      bringing the length back up.
      During the sprint you'll often find that the team has dependencies
      without which the project won't succeed. Start another Scrum team
      doing this work. Sometimes you'll have multiple teams working on co-
      dependent work. To keep each other informed, have a "scrum of
      scrums" every day after the individual scrums. This is where each
      scrum leader reports on what his team has accomplished and what
      problems they're running into. By sharing this, the teams become
      aware of their mutual progress and can adapt.
      Ken

      --- In scrumdevelopment@egroups.com, "spy" <thespywhocame@h...> wrote:
      > I am a project manager that recently started using SCRUM
      methodology as a
      > way of re-energizing and re-focussing my team on the current
      project.

      > I have found I had already been using variations of all of the SCRUM
      > techniques, and I was intrigued and excited by the prospect of
      combining all of these techniques in a simple incremental and
      structured approach to the
      > "chaos".
      >
      > So far the SCRUM is working out great, however the external chaos
      seems to
      > be creeping back in.
      >
      > This is primarily due to the fact that our current organizational
      structure
      > relies too heavily on a multi-project multi-task basis.
      >
      > Fundamentally I see SCRUM as a single project methodology only. I
      see the
      > primary driving force behind the methodology is the focussing of
      team effort
      > shielding the team from the "chaos"
      >
      > I my situation where "chaos" comes in the form of multiple
      concurrent
      > projects with varying priorities, the SCRUM is starting to fall
      apart.

      > Is there any work on such scenarios or are there alternative
      methodologies.

      > I am thinking of running multiple simultaneous SCRUMS whereby the
      SPRINT's
      > are shortened to reflect the decreased time available due to
      multitasking,
      > however this approach seems contrary to the simplified focussed
      approach of
      > SCRUM.
      >
      > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic