610Re: Alternative to EGroups + scrum in a "management" org

  • Dan Brown
    Oct 6, 2002
      I assume everyone in the list followed this comment, but it is worth
      repeating. Yahoo Groups has a nice digest feature; no advertisements
      (except for the people who SP~M the group), and the one daily e-mail
      makes for a quick read to scan for what is interesting.

      As the saying goes, "and now for something completely different."

      I would love to get feedback from those with some experience in a
      management-centric environment on how to get some traction with
      Agile. Here's the current situation: I've introduced a slight
      variation of scrum that is only within our development group (we are
      basically handed a product backlog that does not change at the
      beginning of development). While scrum is not quite ubiquitous on
      teams, it is fairly well received within development, but there are a
      couple challenges to becoming truly agile.

      First, as I mentioned, we tend to be a management-centric group, so
      it's been a challenge for the leadership to let go of the reigns a
      bit and also for a lot of the development team to grab on and drive.
      Second, we deliver to external customers, so our marketing team, I
      think, would be our closest proxy for "the customer" but I haven't
      yet successfully engaged them in the process. Finally, if we can
      successfully engage the rest of the business, I need a better
      understanding of how we expand the scope from software deliveries at
      the end of each sprint, to a complete product delivery that is ready
      for manufacture, sale, and service when we launch to external
      customers.

      Thanks so much in advance for any advice anyone can pass my way.

      Dan

      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...> wrote:
      > It looks good to me but the Yahoo ads don't bother me very much
      because
      > I use email rather than the web for this group.

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic