61RE: [scrumdevelopment] A Tool or a Methodology

  • Krotowski, Randy (RKRO)
    Nov 27, 2000
      I suggest that Scrum is a methodology which I define as a set of principles
      and processes, in this case with a heavy emphasis on the principles. I
      believe Method/One and other (massive) methodologies focus more heavily on
      the cookbook approach because they have been augmented over the years with
      additional detail, tools and templates. My copy of a Method/One binder for
      a project 3 years ago is 600 pages with 240 deliverables and innumerable
      process steps. But, if you want several thousand people to use the same
      methodology the same way, maybe this is what you need.

      But Method/One and other massive methodologies are totally inappropriate in
      situations where there is either high uncertainty or low agreement. Where
      this is a case, a process where you "manage to a vision", using empirical
      project management approaches and a hands-on style is more appropriate.
      Ralph Stacey proposed a certainty matrix to select the appropriate
      management process for a complex environment based on level of uncertainty
      and level of agreement
      (http://www.vha.com/edgeplace/think/main_aides3.html). Interpreting this
      matrix in a project management/ application development context points to
      the use of traditional waterfall, cookbook methodologies where there is a
      high level of certainty and agreement -- we know want we want to do and we
      know how to do it so the best approach is to plan the work and work the
      plan. In an environment of greater uncertainty, a process based on
      iterative or evolutionary delivery focused on a vision that is refined
      during development (e.g. SCRUM) is more appropriate as an approach that will
      reduce the uncertainty and deliver the best possible outcome. Where there
      is certainty but no agreement, prototyping and a good dose of organizational
      politics is probably the right answer.

      So yes, in my view Scrum is a methodology and an excellent one in the right
      situation.

      Also, if anyone else has been looking at the application of complexity
      theory to application development or project management I would be
      interested in hearing from them.