5892Re: Concurrent work in product backlog

  • Paul Hodgetts
    Jan 5, 2005
      Heidi (the_heidster) wrote:

      > Folks - I am creating my first product backlog. I know that the
      > estimate for each requirement/feature should be done in days.

      The important thing is that the relative sizes hold up. We
      need to make sure a 4 is really twice as big as a 2. Most of
      the teams I've worked with seem to have difficulties estimating
      in nebulous units, just working with relative sizes. So we
      end up correlating the units to something we can have a better
      feel for, which is typically ideal days (if I was doing nothing
      else, had no interruptions, no unexpected issues, etc).

      If we want a first-cut SWAG at the overall schedule, in
      addition to size estimates, we also need to estimate velocity.
      This seems easiest done correlated to days, and if we are also
      estimating in ideal days we can correlate size to velocity. We
      can take the available working days in a sprint, add them up
      and then take into consideration that just about every day is
      not ideal by multiplying by anywhere from 40% to 80%. Just
      about every team I work with wants to use from 75% to 100%, and
      it never plays out that way.

      Once we get some feedback from a couple of sprints, however, it
      doesn't matter if the estimating units correlate to time. We
      will learn that the team can average 38 estimated ideal days per
      sprint. Maybe that means an ideal day maps to 1.75 elapsed days,
      but we don't really care. We have 423 total estimated ideal
      days left, so figure another 11 or 12 sprints.

      > Questions, do I just add up the days to estimate the completion
      > date? This would indicate that each day is consecutive. How does
      > this take into account concurrent work (or does it?)

      As mentioned above, we use the total work size and the team's
      estimated velocity per sprint to estimate a completion date.

      There are two types of concurrent work. The first is when the
      team is working on several backlog items at the same time. The
      second is when we have a cross-functional team, where a backlog
      item needs several skill sets to get it done (which is pretty
      common -- it's especially typical that we have developers and
      testers, and usually types of developers as well, DBAs, etc.),
      and some of that work happens in parallel.

      I use a concept I call a "work stream." A work stream is the
      collection of people we gather together to get a backlog item
      done. For example, we use a pair of developers, a DBA and a
      tester. It's not necessary that these people are dedicated to
      one work stream -- a DBA may timeshare across them. For
      estimating at the backlog item level, we assume a minimal work
      stream size. When we actually task the backlog item out for a
      sprint, we may put more than one work stream on it, reducing
      the elapsed time but still taking up the same total ideal time.

      So as an example, I have a backlog item for an e-commerce
      application feature. My minimal work stream is one interface
      designer, a pair of developers and a tester. I estimate how
      long it takes this group to get the backlog item done. The
      interface designer needs a day before the developers can get
      started, then everyone works in parallel for 3 days, and then
      the tester and developers need a day for final test and fix.
      The overall estimate for this backlog item would be 5 days.

      This is not exact. The interface designer could very well go
      off and start working on another backlog item while the tester
      and developers are in final test. But it's close enough, and
      the actual measured velocity will rise if the team learns how
      to overlap backlog item work like this. The alternative is to
      map out a complex set of tasks and dependencies, in other words
      something like a Gantt chart, and we know how well that works.

      Some folks would say the work stream concept I mention above is
      trying to be too exact. An easier approach is to consider what
      your critical path resource would be, typically the developers,
      and then just estimate their time. This wouldn't consider the
      work that has to happen prior to or after the developers, and
      thus the actual velocity would tend to fall if there is enough
      of it happening.

      In any case, we take the number of available work streams times
      the number of work days and that gives us our ideal velocity for
      a sprint. Divide the total work size in ideal days by this
      velocity and we get the number of sprints remaining, and hence
      the estimated completion date.

      > Also, by what criteria should I decide the "adjustment factor"?
      > How important is the adjustment factor?

      There are adjustments that can be applied to both size and
      velocity estimates. Earlier I mentioned adjusting the velocity
      to accommodate less than ideal days.

      Ken Schwaber has a set of velocity adjustment factors that he
      teaches as part of the Certified ScrumMaster course. I'm not
      sure if he considers these proprietary to the course, so I won't
      detail them here. But some of the more important criteria I use
      for adjusting velocity are if the team is distributed, if we
      have multiple teams coordinating work, if it's a new team, if
      they're new to Scrum, if they have some unpredictable legacy
      support on their plate, etc. These things may slow them down.

      We can also apply adjustments to size estimates. If we're using
      new technology or building in some new domain, the amount of work
      may be larger than we might estimate. We may even adjust certain
      types of backlog items, for example the web services features may
      be proving troublesome so we want to adjust them a bit.

      The adjustment factor is important if the team is not taking it
      into consideration when estimating. It seems to be the nature
      of estimating software projects that we tend to be optimistic.
      More experienced teams may have realized their tendencies and
      apply their own adjustment factors. Less experienced teams may
      not consider them. A ScrumMaster should watch the team and
      suggest applying adjustments if they feel they're needed. I
      would not take the team's estimates and apply an adjustment
      after the fact without their understanding and agreement.

      But, after a few iterations, regardless of whether we adjust we
      will learn our actual velocity and converge on more accurate
      overall estimates. Initially, however, in order to avoid
      establishing overly optimistic expectations, we may want to
      apply some adjustment factors. Just be sure to establish the
      understanding that we're SWAG'ing these things, and the only
      realistic numbers are those that result from concrete feedback.

      I hope all that helps a bit. There is a Certified ScrumMaster
      course that I'm helping Ken teach coming up in San Diego
      February 7-8, where you can learn all about planning and the
      rest of Scrum.

      Regards,
      Paul
      -----
      Paul Hodgetts -- CEO, Principal Consultant
      Agile Logic -- www.agilelogic.com
      Consulting, Coaching, Training -- On-Site & Out-Sourced Development
      Agile Processes/Scrum/Lean/XP -- Java/J2EE, C++, OOA/D, UI/IA, XML

      Upcoming Events:

      "Scrum"
      XP San Diego User Group - Thursday, January 6, 2005
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xpsandiego/

      "Can RUP Be Agile? Can RUP Be Extreme?"
      Orange County Rational Users Group - Thursday, January 20, 2005
      http://www.rational-ug.org/groups.php?groupid=9

      Certified ScrumMaster Training, San Diego, CA - February 7-8, 2005
      http://www.controlchaos.com/certification/
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic