      From: todd [mailto:todd@...]
      Sent: Wed 1/5/2005 10:53 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: design practices

      Steven Gordon wrote:

      > Emergent design has other benefits over up-front design besides being
      > able to handle changing/uncertain/emergent requirements:
      > 1. Emergent designs force the code to be easily changable, whereas
      > top-down holistic design can easily create code that is monolithically
      > dependent on the current design. Even if requirements never changed,
      > implementing the system a few requirements at a time results in a
      > system that will be battle tested at being able to accommodate
      > additional requirements after deployment.

      This is a bit of FUD. There's nothing in top down design that makes it
      any more monolithic or dependent or less changeable than any other
      design approach. If you know how to design your code to be testable and
      changeable then it will be. And it can be far easier to add in new
      requirements, depending on the nature of the new requirements. If people
      add useless over complicated code that doesn't work then that's there
      own issue, it's not required by any design methodology that i know of.
      Nor will any design methodology prevent someone from doing stupid stuff.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic