5881RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: design practices

  • Steven Gordon
    Jan 5, 2005
      Emergent design has other benefits over up-front design besides being able to handle changing/uncertain/emergent requirements:

      1. Emergent designs force the code to be easily changable, whereas top-down holistic design can easily create code that is monolithically dependent on the current design. Even if requirements never changed, implementing the system a few requirements at a time results in a system that will be battle tested at being able to accommodate additional requirements after deployment.

      2. Developers can learn something from the design and implementation of a few requirements that will improve the design and implementation of the remaining requirements, whereas if we design the whole thing before implementing any of it, we get no feedback on whether the overall design strategy is a good one.

      3. We can better estimate how long it will take to complete the project from the first month of design and implementation of a few requirements from beginning to end than from just a month of pure design.

      Steven Gordon

      http://sf.asu.edu/

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Joel" <jadams@d...> wrote:
      > Another assumption we frequently make is that design should be
      > emergent. Writing code only for the current function is a good
      thing
      > because re-writing isn't expensive compared to adding complexity
      and
      > functionality that is never needed. But in the case where all
      > functionality has equal priority, and the system cannot be released
      > until all of the functionality is included, isn't this an
      inefficient
      > approach?
      > My guess is that this project would benefit from more up-front
      design
      > than a new development project. And I think that I would be asking
      > the team where else they can find efficiencies given the somewhat
      > unique situation.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic