5866Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Multi-Project Development with Limited Resources

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Jan 4, 2005
      Ron is absolutely on the money.  Traditional Program/Project Management approaches handle Ron's suggestion during the scoping and definition phase by having a section devoted to what is within scope and focus and more importantly what is not.  Of the two, stating what is NOT in scope is the more important.  Within the stuff I recommend you commit NOT to do is to work without approval of the business owner and to do only what they formally approve.  This, along with the infamous 'formal signoff' on the document smokes out the politicians.  It also causes much of the delays.  This is where traditional systems get in trouble as they do not make the business owner a task owner on the plan.  Therefore the slip is not attributed to the source.

      In the Agile environments I work in. we take this one step further and commit NOT to consume any resources that the business owner does not approve and to NOT deliver anything that has not been approved.

      We also carry the business owner as a milestone task owner and give a specified period of time for a response.  When it does not happen, that task - and its owner - need to answer for the slip.

      If it sounds like I am mixing Agile and traditional - rest assured that I am as I work in the land of the possible.

      --
      Mike Dwyer

      "I Keep six faithful serving-men
      Who serve me well and true:
      Their names are What and Where and When
      And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

      > On Monday, January 3, 2005, at 6:37:44 PM, Jiri Lundak wrote:
      >
      > > What, if you have more than one king? Or, if you have one king and in
      > > the background some shadow king, but both not talking with one voice?
      >
      > > It seams to me, that this is the time, where should be some fusion of
      > > both positions, maybe some kind of forced 'royal pact'?
      >
      > > How can someone like a Scrum Master foster a unification, without
      > > becoming the yard fool?
      >
      > I would do it by following the publication practices in the Petition
      > the King article: I'd publish what I was doing and make it clear
      > that I wasn't doing anything else.
      >
      > I would also try to make decisions poorly enough to foster
      > unification among the requirements givers. One has to be careful not
      > to appear the fool, but it's amazing what a really bad proposed
      > decision or two will do when you've got someone in the room who
      > won't make up their mind.
      >
      > I would also get them to at least make the budget clear: what
      > percentage of my effort should go to each king.
      >
      > And of course, whenever you have too many kings, there's always
      > assassination. :)
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > Think! -- Aretha Franklin