5859Re: Multi-Project Development with Limited Resources

  • Jiri Lundak
    Jan 3, 2005
      Hi Ron,

      Thank you for the pointer.

      I read that metaphor some time back and never thought I would come
      into a situation, where I would find myself in a similar context.

      You write about the 'King':
      "The king is almost certainly not the development group, at least in
      the XP context. In XP, business decisions are not made by development.
      So from an XP viewpoint, the king is some kind of Big Customer. Kevin
      Lawrence suggests that the king is the Customer Who Speaks With One
      Voice. Brad Appleton mentions the idea of a Customer Advisory Board,
      and suggests that the XP equivalent might be "One Customer Team". In a
      product company, the role of king might be taken by a product
      marketing committee, or the head of product marketing. In any case,
      it's best if the king is a business-oriented decision maker."

      What, if you have more than one king? Or, if you have one king and in
      the background some shadow king, but both not talking with one voice?

      It seams to me, that this is the time, where should be some fusion of
      both positions, maybe some kind of forced 'royal pact'?

      How can someone like a Scrum Master foster a unification, without
      becoming the yard fool?

      Jiri

      <ronjeffries@X...> wrote:
      > On Tuesday, December 28, 2004, at 12:15:12 PM, Royer, Paul wrote:
      >
      > > A different way to look at the issue of multiple concurrent projects
      > > with limited resources (a universal phenomenon) is to use a 'portfolio
      > > management' concept. This idea ties projects (any kind, not just
      IT) to
      > > the business strategy of the organization. It's aim is to force the
      > > alignment of project requests with business objectives; thus,
      leading to
      > > a global prioritization of projects. Then, in addition to the Product
      > > and Sprint Backlogs; one could now envision a Portfolio Backlog to be
      > > reconciled once or twice a year when budget planning is done. I think
      > > the analogy fits and can be extended throughout the Scrum philosophy.
      >
      > > Comments and alternate ideas are more than welcomed.
      >
      > A related notion intended to force the conversation to start:
      > http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/PetitionTheKing.htm .
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > If it is more than you need, it is waste. -- Andy Seidl
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic