57929Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Stop Prefetching Stories

  • George Dinwiddie
    Aug 4, 2014
      Cass,

      On 7/28/14, 11:13 PM, Cass Dalton cassdalton73@...
      [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] wrote:

      > Adam, Michael, and Ron.
      > I am very interested to hear more. This issue is relevant to our team.
      > I will say that the appearance of failure is not an issue. We are a
      > fortunate situation where our organization is looking to us to
      > understand what agile means and no one is looking at a completion rate
      > of 80-90% as failure. And our stories are all 2-3 days on average.
      > When there are 4 stories in progress or in review at the end of a
      > sprint, that represents about 4-6 man days of unfinished work after a
      > sprint of 50 man days.

      What would it take to get this down to 1 or two stories in progress?

      I don't know how big your team is, but a WIP of 4 stories sounds big to
      me, and would hamper changing direction. How many people swarm over one
      story?

      > Can you provide more details about why this is bad? Is it just that
      > there's always more testing to be done? Why wouldn't a team want to
      > shoot for stretch goals? I was thinking that those stretch goals were a
      > path to continual improvement. I'm also afraid that as the team
      > finishes their stories and transitions to clean up, we start to fall
      > into mini-waterfall with 8 days of development and 2 days of integration.

      Can you tell me more about why integration is separated from development?

      - George