57924Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Stop Prefetching Stories

  • George Dinwiddie
    Aug 4, 2014
      Hi, Cass,

      On 7/24/14, 12:54 PM, Cass Dalton cassdalton73@...
      [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] wrote:

      > I don't know if it's the right answer, but we typically commit to
      > stretch goals in a sprint (a few more stories than the team thinks they
      > can confidently achieve) in case the team over achieves. Every sprint
      > has a couple of stories that are in progress and the demo is essentially
      > the snapshot of what is done and ready on that day.

      Do you and your teammates get a sense of accomplishment at the end of
      the sprint?

      That's a problem I've seen with teams that over-commit all the time.
      They always feel a sense of "not good enough." And, as mentioned by
      others, that usually leads to hurrying to do new functionality rather
      than making sure what's done is done as well as they can. The nuisance
      of working in a messy code base also contributes to the sense that they
      need to hurry, since things take longer than imagined.

      You may not have this problem, but I urge you to keep an eye open for it.

      Also, if you're not trying to observe the sprint boundaries, why not
      switch to a kanban approach? You can keep your current cadences for
      planning, demonstrating, and retrospecting. The difference would be
      that, instead of using getting things accomplished within the sprint
      boundaries to limit WIP (which you're apparently not doing), you'd
      explicitly limit WIP.

      Just some thoughts to consider.

      - George