57923Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Stop Prefetching Stories

  • Michael Wollin
    Jul 28, 2014
      Stories being too big was the principal culprit, but they were in the habit of "staying busy." So they would start stories they had no chance of finishing.

      The burndown charts out of Rally were goofy cause they would never burn down, and it was weird that it didn't bother anyone. For the life of me I could never figure out what they were using those burndown charts for, but they printed them and posted them and shared them.

      On Jul 28, 2014, at 9:47 PM, "Adam Sroka adam.sroka@... [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT]" <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yeah. If we're talking root cause I have seen: stories that are too big, sprints that are too long, or people seeking to be busy because they perceive (generally correctly) that they are expected to be.

      On Monday, July 28, 2014, Michael James mj4scrum@... [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Jul 28, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Ron Jeffries ronjeffries@... [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I despise "stretch goals" in almost every instance. In too many cases, they just amount to a way for the team to appear to fail despite doing just fine. Too hard to use well, they militate against clean code and comprehensive testing, and don't really accomplish anything particularly useful. All in my opinion of course.

      And mine, though I can't speak for every situation.

      All these things seem to spring from Sprints and batches that are too big.  Shorten the Sprint, reduce the work in progress, so the capacity estimates don't matter so much.

    • Show all 45 messages in this topic