57903Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Stop Prefetching Stories

  • Daniel Wildt
    Jul 25, 2014
      I believe we need to gather all technical debit and use this "available time" do work on that.

      In a previous team, we had a technical debt spreadsheet prioritised (based on legacy stuff and refactoring opportunities) and whenever we had time available in the end of the iteration, it was total focus on that spreadsheet to minimize impact on code and bring more code quality, more testing and refactoring. The focus was to keep the code clean.

      -- Daniel Wildt (+55 51 99989030) @dwildt

      On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Ron Jeffries ronjeffries@... [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Michael,

      On Jul 24, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Michael Wollin yahoo@... [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I am not requesting suggestions on splitting stories. I am coaching the Business Unit on that and they are making progress. What I’m requesting is more and compelling reasons that pre-fetching stories (because you are done with the sprint) is a bad idea (i.e. it throws off cadence, a sense of accomplishment, velocity measures, innovation). What else?

      If the team is quite good, it is harmless. If they are merely humanly good, they will almost certainly wind up valuing stories over housekeeping like testing and keeping the design fresh, and the result will be that they are writing more legacy code every day.