57780Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Scrum makes it onto TV! ("Silicon Valley" show on HBO)

  • Adam Sroka
    May 7, 2014
      Some time before becoming famous for Beavis and Butthead Mike Judge was a programmer. He worked on the F/A-18 fighter program after graduating UCSD with a BS in Physics. Then he moved to Silicon Valley and worked for a startup for a while but reportedly hated it.

      I don't know the credentials of the rest of the writing team, but Judge has both the comedy chops and the industry experience to pull of this level of satire on his own.

      On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      WARNING:  If you watch the real show, there is a fair amount vulgarity and sexual innuendo portrayed, so I recommend you watch it first before showing to others.

      Scrum mentioned fairly heavily on "Silicon Valley" HBO tv show in USA. Episode 5 is where Scrum is mentioned, about halfway through 30 minute episode:
      (You have to be an HBO subscriber or some such to watch it, but you can see the Release Burndown in the thumbnail)

      The scene is funny, and they don't totally murder Scrum(in terms portraying it) in the scene, and there is also talk about User Stories.  The scene pitches it as the two main programmers are now in competition to get things done faster now that their progress is so highly visible on the Scrum board.  Clearly the DoD is not spoken about, but the timebox/transparency pressure is on!

      This is a "commentary show" to the real show(available on YouTube):
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUjcXxzejKc
      Scrum is discussed at 18:45 for about 3 minutes.

      Anyone know who is advising the show?  I was surprised that they didn't totally screw it up.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Professional Scrum Trainer
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief