57717Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Should user story AC include validation of stated benefit?

  • Peter Trudelle
    Feb 8, 2014
      thanks Wouter! I've had good results with similar approaches in other teams/situations; seems promising here.

      Peter
      ____________
      Peter Trudelle
      831.704.6880

      On Feb 8, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

      Hi Peter,

      I usually ask for a user story to clearly state the benefit for the customer ('so that a commenter can see as much of his comment as will fit on the screen'). The ACs would record the specifics of how that benefit will be achieved. In the discussion about the user story, the team will discuss possible solutions, resizability, a larger (initial) size, and perhaps a maximum size. Each of those could end-up as an AC.

      I do think that if you have a team that is more directly involved with the customer, and would take a higher level of goals. For instance, they'd get the request to improve the conversion of comments: measurements indicate that comments are often abandoned, and we want to get the number of comments that are actually submitted up.
      This team might set a high level 'acceptance criteria' based on the percentage of comments that are eventually submitted. But then they might do different experiments, one of which would be the user story above, which would still have the very specific ACs as you gave them. They'd also deploy that code, probably do a little A/B testing, and find out if it contributes to that overall goal.

      Wouter

      On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:21 PM, <trudelle@...> wrote:

      What is your opinion on acceptance criteria for stories including some means of validating that the functionality achieves the stated benefit? For example, in the story "As a commenter, I want a larger textarea, so that I can see the entire comment at once before posting", should the AC include some validation of that benefit?  Some folks on my team want to limit the AC to things like "textarea is 20% larger", or "textarea is sizeable", saying that any validation of the actual benefit (e.g., AC: <commenter> can see as much of his comment as will fit on the screen) would make the story unsizeable due to subjective evaluation.

      thanks,

      Peter

      --
      Wouter Lagerweij          | wouter@...
      linkedin.com/in/lagerweij | +31(0)6 28553506

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic