      Then consider what kind of risk you are taking on. If the gig is for a year you don't have to worry right away about finding another gig. So, as long as you are saving something every month you should be safe. For shorter gigs I would ask for more because I know it has to last me until I find something else.

      Come up with a number, pad it a bit, and ask for that. If he doesn't balk at it it is too low. If he laughs it's way too high. Otherwise, you'll probably never know, but if you are comfortable with it who cares? You can come down a bit if you have to, but you're better off to walk away then to come down a lot (for at least two reasons: it makes you look like you don't know what you are doing, and if you know what you need and you aren't making it the stress of managing that is not worth it. Trust me, I've been there.)

      After you do this a few times it will start to suck less. Welcome to the world of consulting.

      On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:46 PM, <jabrams48@...> wrote:

      Markus,
      i was offer a 12 month contract to be a Agile Coach with a Fortune 500 company....the headhunter would not tell me the rate, he said to tell him what  i wanted, which in my book, this contract has more money than the usual ones i have had....just want to give a fair answer, so i am pleased, the head hunter is pleased and the client is pleased.....thank you for your thoughtfulness on answering my question...regard..james

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Markus Gaertner <mgaertne@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com <SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wed, Jan 29, 2014 5:19 pm
      Subject: Re: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Agile Coach/Scrum

      Hi James,

      I am inclined to answer your question, and would find it inappropriate if I provided you an answer publicly that might be biased on a lot of stuff, like psychological contracting, location, and actual state of the underlying agile transition.

      What would you do with answers to these questions?

      Best
      Markus

      On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM, <jabrams48@...> wrote:

      what is the current rate being paid to a Agile Coach and Scrum Master...is the rate going up or down...regard..james

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gaertner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance Test-Driven Development

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic