57580RE: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Time tracking for building software

  • Reaves, Chuck
    Dec 16, 2013

      We use Version One at my company to enter our time for each task within a User Story…and this is mandatory at our company.

      From: SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCRUMDEVELOPMENT@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Robinson
      Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:59 AM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCRUMDEVELOPMENT] Time tracking for building software

      Companies that want to capitalize their expenses for building software need their development teams to track time they spend on building and testing software.  Has anyone heard of a company requiring their teams to track the time they spend as part of the tasks in the Agile Project Management Tool being used?

      For example, if a user story consists of 5 tasks and task1 was estimated at 6hours but it only took 3 hours to complete, than the developer is required to enter the actual effort of 3 hours into the tool for time tracking purposes.

      I can understand tracking the estimated vs actuals over the course of a sprint or two in order to help improve team agility and estimation practices, but I've never heard of it being mandated as a time entry system.  This can be a problem particularly for mature teams that don't use tasks or task hours.

      What have you seen work?  What downsides do you see to this?

      Looking for comments or thoughts.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic