57355RE: Agile Impressions by Gerald M. Weinberg

  • marcodorantes
    Oct 31, 2013

      As far as I understand the discipline of historians, a historical inquiry needs records with stable references, so other people could check independently of time and space. By now, most stable records still are books or articles. If you remember any author of the current set of agile methods publishing something along with her sources, please let me know.

      Thank you very much in advance.

      ---In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, <marcodorantes@...> wrote:

      I have started reading the Agile Impressions text. I have read many of Weinberg’s books, and I have read that some Agile Manifesto’s authors have learned a lot from those books. That is why I am especially interested to read what Gerald M. Weinberg has to say about the Agile Manifesto’s mindset.

      The section Agile and the Definition of Quality...7, as properly stated at the beginning, is adapted from section 1.1 A Tale of Software Quality, in Quality Software Management. Volume 1: Systems Thinking. I noticed that Weinberg equates the actions of a quality manager —as of 1991— with the actions of an Agile team —as of 2013—.

      1991: «That’s why one of the most important actions of a quality manager is to bring such decisions into consciousness, if not always into public awareness.»
      2013: «That’s why one of the most important actions of an Agile team is bringing such decisions into consciousness, if not always into public awareness.»

      That is pretty much consistent, historically, with the quotation attributed to Weinberg by the Larman and Basili’s article about iterative and incremental development: «...where the technique used was, as far as I can tell, indistinguishable from XP.»
      In other words, this is additional evidence for many possible conclusions; for example, that iterative and incremental development (IID) was not born with object-oriented methods in the 90’s, or that IID is not recent and comparatively unproven. Also, this is evidence of how true David Parnas statement is about where the next big thing in software engineering lies, in the horizon or in the past, in the history of our profession.
      What do you think?

      Marco
      "Many C++ design decisions have their roots in my dislike for forcing people to do things in some particular way" -Bjarne Stroustrup

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: mgaertne@...
      Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 22:06:45 +0100
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Impressions by Gerald M. Weinberg

      I haven't read that far, halfway through right now.

      The best insight I had on the first three pages, when Jerry writes that they did something like agile back in 1957 before Project Mercury. When all those people came up with Waterfall, they found it stupid, and kept on telling their thing Software Development.

      Best Markus

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance

      On 30.10.2013, at 20:09, Marco Dorantes <marcodorantes@...> wrote:

      Thanks Markus.
      I am about to purchase it, but have not found a review yet. I wonder if he say something about the subject of “Architecture” (as of COBIT, TOGAF, Zachman, and the like) and possible relationships of agile practices with that. Or something related to that very high level view of organizational perspectives in relation with agile mindsets.
      Thank you very much for any comment.

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: mgaertne@...
      Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 19:55:56 +0100

      I'm reading it right now. What do you want to discuss?

      Best Markus

      --
      Dipl.-Inform. Markus Gärtner
      Author of ATDD by Example - A Practical Guide to Acceptance
      Test-Driven Development

      On 30.10.2013, at 19:42, <marcodorantes@...> wrote:

      I searched the text "Agile Impressions" in the group, but no conversations appeared in the results. It is the title of a book by Gerald M. Weinberg
      https://leanpub.com/jerrysblog
      Have you read it? Could we discuss a little bit about it or about the role of Jerry Weinberg’s works on *your* work?
      Best regards.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic