57292Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to perform estimation for custom (billable) work

  • Adam Sroka
    Oct 16 8:00 AM
      Excellent advice.

      I would add that even if you do decide to do fixed price/scope still run it iteratively and get frequent feedback. That way you don't head down the wrong path. Also, if you are running late it's not a surprise and you can negotiate changes early.

      Vet your customers carefully to make sure that they can provide the inputs and frequent feedback needed to run a successful Agile team. Don't chase bad money. The reputation of your team is more valuable than the revenue from a doomed project.

      On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Vikrama Dhiman <vickydhiman@...> wrote:

      Hi Alex:

      I wrote about it several years ago. I think some if not all is still relevant. Here are some thumb rules (first 2 are sort of preachy - so skip to 4th for direct points);

      1. If you do want to do fixed price, you want to do it for less scope and not more (as it minimizes the risk).
      2. There is some literature on 1/3rd - 2/3rd contracts and some very little one on PS2000 contracts - dig into those.
      3. What starts as a custom fixed price billable project does not need to be so eventually too. You can easily convert a fixed-price to a more manageable time and material provided you show evidence of collaboration and business value delivery early on. So, get the project in how-so-ever you do it right now and then hopefully convert it later.
      4. Here is another technique which I have seen people use - float a RFP similar to work you would do and get 3-4 quotes yourself under a pseudo-name or something. Give you an idea of how much you should 'actually' bill. You could bill more if you have good presales team, domain expertise, proven record.

      Good luck.

      -Vikrama Dhiman