57244Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why do the "values" matter?

  • Jean Richardson
    Sep 24, 2013
      Don! How amusing. Why did you respond to me here where I can only "see you" on this tiny Blackberry screen when we are here together at this small conference? I'll find you this morning so that we might make arrangements for a much richer conversation face to face in real time. -- Jean

      From: Don Gray <don@...>
      Sender: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:51:18 -0400
      To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why do the "values" matter?

      Jean,

      In regards to Ron's comment about changing behaviors and values.

      The NLP logical levels (also known as the logical levels of change, the logical levels of thinking and the neurological levels) are very useful for assisting with or understanding change from an individual, social or organization point of view. They were developed by Robert Dilts and are based on the "neurological levels" proposed by anthropologist Gregory Bateson.

      Level
      Questions corresponding to logical levels
      Spirituality/Purpose
      Who else? For whom? This can be viewed as your connection to a larger system. If you are an individual or company providing NLP related services, what impact are you having within your community, where you live and work, the NLP community, your culture and the culture of others, … ?
      Identity/Mission
      Who? Who are you as an individual or company? What role do you play to achieve your purpose? How do you think of yourself as a person/organization – i.e. I am a successful person.
      Beliefs and Values
      Why? Why do you do something? What do you believe in or value? As an individual, you may believe you can do anything you choose. Or you may value honesty. From a company perspective, the company may value good customer service and/or the well-being of staff.
      Capabilities/Strategies
      How? How do you go about doing things? As an individual or company, what are your capabilities, skills, strategies or action plans?
      Behaviours
      What? What are your behaviours?
      Environment
      Where? When? With Whom? Where, when and with whom do you display your behaviours? What are the external influences on you?
      ( this table created by Roger Ellerton Phd, ISP, CMC, Renewal Technologies Inc. www.renewal.ca)

      The premise states that changes in the higher logical levels (such as Beliefs and Values) create cascading changes in the lower logical levels. If a person values authentic congruent communication, they probably only yell when the building is on fire.

      The Agile Manifesto start with values. Yet most implementations I've worked with work from the bottom up. Team rooms - environment. Multiple checkins / day - behavior. Automatic builds/TDD - capabilities and strategies.

      Changes in a lower level can affect the next higher level, but don't necessarily have to.

      Perhaps the way to change values is to work at the identity/mission level.

      There was a presentation at Agile 2009 titled "Logical Levels and Statistical Games: A Powerful Strategy for Agile Adoption". Unfortunately http://agile2009.agilealliance.org/node/1587/ "download link" 404s. Contact me off list if you'd like a copy.

      One quick question. What happens in the company that supports and enables yelling?

      Don Gray - Exploring Human Systems in Action
      (336)414-4645

      We don't need better solutions, we need better thinking about problems.
      attributed to Russell Ackoff

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic