57235Re: [scrumdevelopment] Why do the "values" matter?

  • Ken 'classmaker' Ritchie
    Sep 20, 2013
      Wow, Jean! Great to see you here again. Thanks for sharing your challenge openly.

      So, when I saw this...
      "Yelling and disrespectful speech are two behaviors that can still use work."
      that made me wonder...

      What ever happened to "civility" and kindness and self-discipline? Agile or not, bad behavior is an impediment, indeed! Unjustifiable, regardless of intentShouldn't we regard [chronic] yelling and disrespectful speech as violent and abusive? Not productive in any sustainable way.

      I'd be inclined to "go prescriptive" with some tough love, if I were their coach. Other strategies have apparently failed to influence or empower team members to work things out well enough to heal.

      Diagnosis: Collaborative cancer. Organizational gangrene imminent.

      Coaching Rx:  Top priority for execs now is to lead their organization into healing. Stat!  Set a standard for respect, and honor it. Educate everyone to hold each other accountable to those values. And, if they can't "cure" the offenders, then "excise" them before the infection spreads and kills the rest of the company.

      And, yes, that may require courage.

      Those leaders will also earn the appreciation and trust of those who have persevered or remained hopeful instead of voting with their feet.

      Otherwise, without healthy organizational structure for success, agile transformation is unlikely.
      ___

      Jean, I'm pretty sure none of this is news to you. This was my attempt to articulate it, so others in our community can carry the thoughts forward and add value, possibly by reflecting on what strategies have worked (or not) in similar situations.  I'm still learning.

      Respectfully,
      --Ken
      ;-)

      On Sep 20, 2013, at 10:50, "Jean Richardson" <jean@...> wrote:

      Thanks, Ron.  I’ve been hesitant to point to specific behaviors in this document when I won’t be there to speak to it later.  However, initially, when the internal agile champion asked for me to write two organization impediments up my first comment was “stop the yelling.”  Yelling and disrespectful speech are two behaviors that can still use work.  Lack of respect impairs courage, and pretty soon the whole set of values are on a rocky foundation.

      I have started reasoning about each of the values in the document.  A person could write a treatise on this topic, and maybe that’s what I need to do elsewhere.

      You’re probably right about case studies.  I’ve definitely seen people read them, discuss them, and then not change a darn thing.

      --- Jean