57225RE: [scrumdevelopment] Why do the "values" matter?

  • Jean Richardson
    Sep 20, 2013

      Adam –

      Focusing on the Manifesto is a good technique as it gets you to those values.  (Thank you for the reminder.)  It’s a less direct route, and perhaps I’m just getting a bit tired and wanting to be more direct.  And, yes, some people really don’t want to think about their work more holistically and the whole on-the-bus/off-the-bus thing is worth looking at and planning the organization around.

      I remain willing to work with people whose values are skewed from mine.  It’s good for both me and them and causes growth.  I’m not sure avoiding situations where agile adoptions have run aground for any variety of reasons—including a less than generative way of valuing human beings—is quite where I want to be, yet.  I know plenty of people who are there, though, and to my mind, this means there are more teams out there in need of support than are going to get it.   One view speaks to courage, and some would say the other view speaks to wisdom.

      Someone asked me a really hard question in Q1 of this year (and it was in an interview):  “Do you really enjoy going into these situations where people aren’t getting along, projects are failing, and turning the situation around?”  They wanted a “yes” or “no” answer, and I just didn’t have it for them.  Overnight I realized that firemen likely don’t enjoy running into burning buildings; they enjoy putting fires out.  Arsonists enjoy burning buildings.

      Maybe what I need here is a bigger hose or a more reliable water supply.  I’m off to yet another week long workshop next week to get a sharper bit and drill a deeper well.

      --- Jean