      From: Alex Pereira
      Sent: ‎29-‎8-‎2013 15:05
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Concept of "work ahead" team

      I Agree with Peter here. Although my Agile experience is far lower than a lot of people in this group, I came to realize that it probably depends on what stage of Agile the organization is, and also, the domain experience of developers/QA on the team.

      Take for example my current job (as a sr. dev), in which I have been for only 3 1/2 months - I was also hired for my previous experience as a Scrum Master. The company is in the early (really crawling) stages of Scrum, and the VP wants all developers/QA to participate in the backlog refining meetings. This is by far the worse arrangement, which I have been trying to persuade them to change.

      My team consists of:
      1 Team Lead/Sr. Dev - been here for over 5 years, so lots of domain knowledge
      1 Jr. Dev - been here about 2 years
      1 Mid Dev. - been here about 6 months
      1 Sr Dev (me) - been here about 4 months
      1 Jr. Dev - been here about 2 months
      1 Sr QA - been here for over 9 years, so lots of domain knowledge

      We have about 2-3 backlog refining meetings each week, and for the most part, with the exception of the team lead and QA, the rest of the team have very little input to give. Which means we are wasting time. I understand we have a lot of issues to overcome here, but for the context of this email, I will just stick with the "work ahead" team concept.

      Based on my past and my current experience, I think the best "lean" approach would be to have a group consisting of the most knowledgeable team members (team lead/sr. dev + QA), together with PO, UX, and other stakeholders create and expand user stories as much as they can. We could probably cut down meetings involving all devs/qa to 1 per week, in which we could discuss the approach to be taken (further refining) and also estimate. I believe this would be the most lean and optimal approach.

      Alex Pereira
      http://www.brainstack.net/ (Professional Blog)