57167Re: [scrumdevelopment] Spike stories - estimation and acceptance criteria ?

    Aug 28, 2013

      On Aug 28, 2013, at 1:30 PM, srinivas chillara <ceezone@...> wrote:

      Fair point. So spike items need not be (preferably should be) in the format of a user story, as long as they are comparable, especially to the PO.

      They need to speak to business value. The format is BS.

      It's interesting you say "As a ..." format is just training wheels.

      I have seen it to be very useful well into a project/product to keep the focus on the user's needs. I've seen the format of the user story so useful and the conversations it can generate (esp with a cross fucntional team) progress discussion on functionality much faster than otherwise; I think we can just continue to use it.

      Sure. You can do whatever you wish.

      Why do you say these are just training wheels, what is a better option you have in mind?  In what way could this format be a hindrance?

      People ask questions about the format: that's waste. The purpose of the written part of a user story is to serve as a ticket to the conversation. All that needs to be written should be enough to remember what the story is.

      Sticking to a rigid format in an Agile method strikes me as uniquely … um … odd.

      Ron Jeffries
      I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
      You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
        -- Steve Hayes

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic