57163Re: [scrumdevelopment] Concept of "work ahead" team

  • Kurt Häusler
    Aug 27, 2013
      Hi Richard,

      I have heard the term be used to describe something else, other than grooming, or backlog refinement as it is now called. I think it is ok to have a subset of the team do this.

      To me "work ahead" has another connotation. Where the roles you mention essentially solve the problem, they have the discussions with the customer, they prepare assets, they write specifications, they design the UI, maybe even go so far as producing or modifying wireframes or mockups.

      it is a horrible horrible anti-pattern. If the team receives essentially solved problems to merely type in then they will be extremely demotivated.

      It is also highly wasteful, as there is no guarantee this work will even be used.

      There is plenty of time within the sprint to do this work, together as a team and if there isn't the stories need to be made smaller.

      Kurt

      On 27 Aug 2013, at 09:58, "Richard Griffiths" <richard@...> wrote:

      > Hi all, I’ve started to hear this more often – the “work ahead” team being a smaller group out of the team (BA, Architect, UX) who will groom the stories, relatively size them, have them ready for the team to do further work on.
      >

      > Shouldn’t the whole team be involved in these exercises, not the chosen few?
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic