57147Re: [scrumdevelopment] Concept of "work ahead" team

  • Madhur Kathuria
    Aug 27, 2013
      Hey Richard

      IMHO, Well the look ahead teams ( I call them planning teams) exist in organizations because of the basic SDLC and because of planning pressures ( or lack of them there of)

      In an ideal world, teams would not only focus on current work but also look into the future and plan for what they need to do in next couple of Sprints but in most orgs, the team gets so drowned in the current work that they forget to look into future and the results are mid sprint surprises, half baked stories, Non existent Done criterion et al

      Yes, with better planning of capacity and in-sprint calendar and with a bit of vision, the team should be able to manage all things but till the time that happens, the Planning team(s) will continue to exist

      on the flip side, with some of my clients, I have seen the planning teams being the tech champions and they provide the direction and vision for product research and development because of their experience and deeper understanding of the product/domain/technology

      To summarize, the Planning teams may not be evil ( even useful) but there can also be better, collaborative ways to plan the future :)

      ---
      With Regards,
      Madhur Kathuria, CSC, CSP, CSM, CSA
      Chair, India Scrum Enthusiasts Community (ISEC)
      Founder, Agile Pune

      Call: +91.8506011150
      Skype: madhur.kathuria

      On 27 August 2013 12:28, Richard Griffiths <richard@...> wrote:

      Hi all, I’ve started to hear this more often – the “work ahead” team being a smaller group out of the team (BA, Architect, UX) who will groom the stories, relatively size them, have them ready for the team to do further work on.

      Shouldn’t the whole team be involved in these exercises, not the chosen few?

      --

      Richard

      Speed is n0 subsitute fnor accurancy

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic