57095Waterfall Rules (Re: No one believes in waterfall)

  • Jim
    Jul 27, 2013
      I was almost duped!
      Settling back from the edge of my seat, I LMAO back to a comfortable slouch! Love this satirical website! And the study is priceless in arming us agilist evangelists! Thanks Mark, et. al.!

      Jim Bo
      "Change is inevitable. Growth is optional. Waste is waterfall."

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "woynam" <woyna@...> wrote:

      > Bah! Waterfall rules, and is proudly supported by a who's-who of software development luminaries, including Ken Schwaber, Mike Cohn, Ron Jeffries, Robert Martin, Mary Poppendieck, Jim Highsmith, Ward Cunningham, Alistair Cockburn, Kent Beck, Michael Feathers, Scott Ambler, and others!
      >
      > http://www.waterfall2006.com/
      >
      > Happy Friday.
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lichty <RonLichty@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The 2013 Study of Product Team Performance is out. You may have taken the survey earlier this year. The results are not quite as across-the-board startling as last year's study - that would have been hard to match - but it offers individual results that are every bit as eye-opening, plus overall being quite revealing...
      > >
      > > ...and there's one result with respect to waterfall and agile that I did not expect:
      > >
      > > It came in response to two questions we asked:
      > > ▪ what methodology does your team use?
      > > ▪ what method do you associate with increased profits?
      > >
      > > The cross-correlation of responses to those two questions revealed a startling result:
      > > ▪ each self-identified methodology group - with the exception of those using waterfall - associated increased profits with the method their group currently uses.
      > >
      > > But the data showed those groups using waterfall believe that any of the methods other than waterfall would make their product more profitable.
      > >
      > > I've been blogging about the results (and am continuing to), including two posts on this waterfall/agile result, at:
      > > http://ronlichty.blogspot.com/
      > > There are links there to the study itself.
      > >
      > > Also links there to my posts about last year's study, which had startled me in that it named just five things that:
      > > ▪ if you don't do them, you have only a 2% chance of high level team performance
      > > ▪ if you do all of them, you have a 67% likelihood of high level team performance
      > > I thought that was pretty remarkable and was what made me want to be part of coauthoring this year's study.
      > >
      > > Ron
      > >

      > > Ron Lichty
      > > 155 Forest Side Avenue
      > > San Francisco, CA 94127
      > > 415-564-2697
      > > Email: RonLichty@
      > > Ron Lichty Consulting, Inc.: Transforming chaos to clarity in software development for two decades
      > > http://www.ronlichty.com
      > > co-author, Managing the Unmanageable: Rules, Tools, and Insights for Managing Software People and Teams
      > > www.ManagingTheUnmanageable.net

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic