57025Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to conduct Agile Performance Reviews?

  • Srinivas
    Jul 16, 2013
      If I were in the shoes of such a manager one possibility I'd consider, is to have every one line up for a lemon and spoon race. I wonder how long before we see such changes becoming the norm.

      Cheers
      Srinivas

      Sent from my iPhoney

      On Jul 17, 2013, at 6:04 AM, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Peter Trudelle <trudelle@...> wrote:

      One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

      Not the first time we've heard this complaint about performance appraisals from the people who are asked to do them.  If I were asked to stack rank subordinates I'm thinking I would just get everyone together and roll dice.  If performance appraisals are harmful (and evidence suggests they are) we shouldn't be trying to fix them, we should be trying to make them have as little effect as possible.  An openly random approach will just mitigate their harm, and hopefully accelerate their abolition.

      (That said, there may be probationary situations where they're appropriate, but that's the 3%, not the 97%.)

      --mj
      (Michael)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic