57024Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to conduct Agile Performance Reviews?

  • Jim Schiel
    Jul 16, 2013
      As a manager for 17 years, I've done my share of performance evals using multiple "systems."

      WHAT A HIGE WASTE OF TIME!!!

      In no case could I honestly tell you that any of the hundreds of reviews I've written actually been more than a waste of time for me and the employee.

      I've been laboring with my customers to minimize or entirely stop these stupid things. Unfortunately, many large companies use this foolishness to drive or justify their compensation practices. Without them, promos and raises would actually be random and inconsistent instead of just seeming so...

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 16, 2013, at 8:34 PM, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      On Jul 13, 2013, at 12:12 PM, Peter Trudelle <trudelle@...> wrote:

      One of the things I don't miss about being a manager are the annual ranking & rating (aka rank-out and berating) sessions universally associated with reviews.  Those make me physically ill.

      Not the first time we've heard this complaint about performance appraisals from the people who are asked to do them.  If I were asked to stack rank subordinates I'm thinking I would just get everyone together and roll dice.  If performance appraisals are harmful (and evidence suggests they are) we shouldn't be trying to fix them, we should be trying to make them have as little effect as possible.  An openly random approach will just mitigate their harm, and hopefully accelerate their abolition.

      (That said, there may be probationary situations where they're appropriate, but that's the 3%, not the 97%.)

      --mj
      (Michael)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic