57016Re: [scrumdevelopment] User Stories, APIs and data feeds

  • Adam Sroka
    Jul 12, 2013
      I agree with Ron's assessment of the template. The main problem with it is the misconception that any statement that can be coerced into that format is automatically a story. That said, the template does imply three questions that you should be able to answer: who is this story valuable to? What are they trying to accomplish? And, how do they intend to go about it?

      The first question is the most important one, because you need to know who to have a conversation with. The other details can change once you have that conversation. If you can't figure out who the story is valuable to and why then you should probably work on something else until you get an answer.

      On the other hand, if you know who the story is valuable to their name doesn't have to be on the card per se. It can be useful to write it down if you have a system with a diverse group of users with competing or unrelated needs, but it's not a requirement.

      On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      Cass,

      Agreed that there are a couple of "small cases" where the template helps -- for a little while.  The vast majority of cases I've seen, it hurts, either because people spend too much time trying to force fit the template, or get into this mode that the template/sentence *IS* a user story.  Thinking the template/sentence *IS* a user story is the biggest trap of all IMO... something I wrote about several years back:
      http://scrumcrazy.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/user-story-traps/  (See trap #1 and #8)

      Btw, I fell into many of those traps -- which is why I can write so freely and well about them!  :-)  Our fellow lister and co-inventor of User Stories Ron Jeffries "schooled" me on many a thread... forever grateful for that man's patience.

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Professional Scrum Trainer
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief