56941Re: [scrumdevelopment] User stories and relative complexity

  • Wouter Lagerweij
    Jun 17, 2013
      Hi Jesse,

      I think Mike Cohn's Agile Estimation and Planning is the default work in this area.

      For the particular discussion that you mention, it would probably be useful to look at things like Story Mapping (http://www.agileproductdesign.com/presentations/user_story_mapping/) and Feature Injection (http://www.infoq.com/articles/feature-injection-success).
      In general, dependencies remain important, but depending on your architecture and organisational structure you can alleviate this with more independent user stories.

      Wouter

      On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Jesse Houwing <jesse.houwing@...> wrote:

      I'm looking for a good book or article which explains the process of estaimating (and re-estimating) user stories using relative estimation/story points.

      Especially around backlog ordering, dependencies between stories and whether to take the benefits of re-use into account in this context.

      The stakeholder argues that in classic estimation he had much more insights into dependencies between stories and could thus plan his releases much better. He'd like the backlog fulle re-estimated each time the order changes or a dependent story changes.

      Instead of talking to the hand, I'd like some good whitepapers or practices that clearly explain the differences between the approaches one might take to relative estimation ans writing of story points.

      I've got a pretty good idea on how I'd like to do it, but I can't find the handholds to get this guy on board. He asked for readign material, so at least I have that :).

      Jesse

      --
      Wouter Lagerweij         | wouter@...
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic