    May 14, 2013
      I think the principles behind the Agile Manifesto (http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html) make it pretty clear, particularly this one: "Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done." I think that the desire to track individual performance is a pretty clear symptom of NOT trusting them to get the job done.

      Also, "The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams." You aren't going to get a self-organizing team out of a group of people who know they are being judged individually. They will make decisions to optimize their individual performance rather than optimizing the whole.

      On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 9:02 PM, Ali H. Moghadam <ali.moghadam@...> wrote:

      Hi Nirmala,
      I think tracking individual performance is somehow against teamwork, as it will reinforce the old competitive culture, in which individuals have no reason to help each other to improve. Also, most of the performance measures are easy to cheat, and if you pay a knowledge worker based on some rigid metrics, the will find the shortest way to maximise that metric, which usually is not the real goal! For example, if you try to measure each persons contribution to the progress of the project by counting the number of stories she had done, then they will break the tasks into smaller ones. If you count story points, then their estimation will be affected. If you count the hours, the speed will be decreased. The only valid metric, is the working product, which leads to the business value. And it belongs to the whole team, not some shining heroes in the team.

      On May 9, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Nirmala Jegadheesan <jnirmala@...> wrote:

          Welcome to Agile :) Thats a very good question and if not thought well ahead might spoil the change totally. First the hand the the team should be committed and honest all the time. To do so its the Lead or the Manager (not necassarily the scrum master) should first evaluate the team members and get such a buy-in from them in the beginning. Only such members can really contribute to an Agile team as here there is nothing called and "Individual member" and hence for all the highs and lows the entire team would be pin pointed. Matured team members can automatically do that. But when watching closely the tasks which are individually assigned should be tracked. If you have a software for the same its easy to track the effort of individuals. And high performing individuals can be awarded separately as everybody in the "Agile team" would be convinced by those persons. As its more transparent now :)
      Motivation is easily done by everyday, well organized, stand-up meetings.

      From: Ensieh Mohseni <en.mohseni@...>
      To: "scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com" <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, May 6, 2013 3:50 PM
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] How to motivate team members Individually?
      Dear Sir/Madam,

      We have just started applying Scrum in our firm (a Software developer firm). I was wondering how we should motivate team members in scrum, when we emphasize on team rather than individuals. What should the top managers do for motivating a team member who has a brilliant performance in the team, while the compensation and awards in Scrum seems to be applied to the whole team equally?

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic