56878Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to motivate team members Individually?

  • Kevin Callahan
    May 9, 2013
      Hi Ensieh,

      My first suggestion is to read Drive by Daniel Pink, which may give you much better insight into the nature of motivation. I'll give you a hint: it's not something that you can create externally, though you can certainly remove impediments to each person's intrinsic motivation.

      And I would also suggest that brilliant performance looks very different from the outside. Traditionally I believe that such a behavior profile looks a lot like a rockstar coder, a ninja, or whatever other heroic pattern you wish to apply. And that's actually an anti-pattern for an effective team. I'm certainly not saying team members should not shine, or not be recognized for excellence (and perhaps we totally agree there, hard to know on email). I am suggesting that a brilliant performance in a team context looks as much like that a team member serving the team. Perhaps that's coaching and teaching another member a new technical approach, perhaps that's mediating a conflict, perhaps that's pulling the PO in to drill into the business impact of some discovered behavior of the system.

      In other words, it looks a lot different and is a lot more complex, and thus is a lot harder to measure meaningfully.

      Anyhow, as the cliche here in the States goes "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link." In scrum, I believe that the most brilliant performances are in the team members finding and strengthening those links.

      Hope that helps,

      -k

      On May 6, 2013, at 3:20 AM, Ensieh Mohseni wrote:

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      We have just started applying Scrum in our firm (a Software developer firm). I was wondering how we should motivate team members in scrum, when we emphasize on team rather than individuals. What should the top managers do for motivating a team member who has a brilliant performance in the team, while the compensation and awards in Scrum seems to be applied to the whole team equally?

      Regards,

      Kevin Callahan
      Scrum Master & Agile Coach
      LiveWorld Inc.