56871Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum works on a team with multiple projects?

  • Ali H. Moghadam
    Apr 25, 2013
      You (as the project manager) can still use the same project concepts to deal with government. But your team needs to have a list of prioritised items for each sprint, and they should be able to self-organise themselves to make these items done. Although it's much more better if the items in each sprint have a shared focus, so that you (and your team) can detect a solid goal for each sprint, not just doing some diffused task.

      Your team may benefit from retrospectives and daily meetings, even if you are not using Scrum! They are necessary practices for every team, as they will provide the team the communication and feedback they need to find out and remove impediments of their teamwork.

      All of those practices are good and useful, but you are not agile, until you deliver value continuously. And it is not possible, unless you have a customer who needs and appreciates this continuos value delivery. Big bureaucratic governmental organisations usually are not good customers, I think! They are usually too lazy with slow cumbersome routines for approving everything. But you may still enjoy benefits of sone agile practices internally in your team, without being agile at the end!

      Bests,
      Alix

      On Apr 24, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Leonardo Nunes <leonardobn@...> wrote:

      Hey guys, thank you for your opinion. Help me a lot.

      @Adam
      I agree with you. I have to report in a way, with this "little projects" because of function point counting and enterprise indicators per project. The Goverment want to control how many costs with error fixing, new features, separatedly. The contracts are a big problem for us. Its complicated to group this "little projects"... we are tryng here.

      So what i'm thinking to do is work with in a scrum way, using the framework style to build the product, abstracting the concept of project of we are using here. I will group this "little projects" like PBIs in a Product Backlog. But i will not have one big project to manage - with cost and date. Just a style of work will change using scrum, with plannings, retros, grooming, etc... and the little projects will be attended in the sprints of this "big fake project", or a new style way to do the work, better say that.

      This could work, i think, i will try starting today.

      Thank you all.

      2013/4/23 Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>

      Just because your management wants you to report about "projects" doesn't mean you have to force your team to work that way. Be a servant leader and give them what they need to build great software. Tell your bosses what they need to know.

      On Apr 23, 2013 4:12 PM, "Ron Jeffries" <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Leonardo,

      On Apr 23, 2013, at 5:25 PM, Markus Gaertner <mgaertne@...> wrote:

      Or change your understanding of "projects" and why you need multiple of them.

      Or accept inferior results. By the way, you're already getting inferior results. With Scrum, they may be better.

      Why pay now when we can pay later?

      --
      Leonardo Nunes

    • Show all 31 messages in this topic