      From: Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:18 PM
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum works on a team with multiple projects?

      On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Leonardo Nunes <leonardobn@...> wrote:

      Does Scrum works on a team with multiple projects?

      The Scrum framework can be used to manage multiple projects, but it is difficult and unlikely to be consistent with these: http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html

      On a 1 team with 1 project we have perfect scenario.

      Actually not. The ideal scenario for Scrum is to have a team devoted to a product not a project. The notion of a project is somewhat orthogonal to Scrum (i.e. it is a way of managing time and budget, not a way of managing development.)

      But in my organization we have 31 development teams. Each team has 20 to 50 projects at same time.

      What do these projects look like? What would the goals of a typical project be? How long would a typical project take from when you first start planning it until you consider it done? What sort of things get delivered at the end of a project and to whom?

      This happens because each team has a big system to take care, and this big system has a set of sub-systems. A project is created to make evolutions or correct erros in each sub-system and i can not make, until now, a project to make a evolution on a several sub-systems in the same time, this is a goverment limitation.

      Sounds like you have some sort of regulatory requirement to report on what you are doing in a particular way. Consider that the need to report it doesn't have to dictate the way you work. I would let the team figure out what it needs to do to improve the "big system," which is their product, and then ask whatever questions I needed to to get the information I had to report to the government. As far as your auditors are concerned you are doing a bunch of simultaneuous projects on a bunch of subsystems, but as far as the team is concerned they are delivering features for a product. There is no reason these two views can't exist simultaneously.

      So my question is - Scrum works in this scenario? How can i deal with several projects on a team? With a team who has 15 projects, i cant do 15 sprint plannings... this is a crazy!

      It could work. You couldn't pay me enough to manage it though. It sounds like a total nightmare.

    • Show all 31 messages in this topic