56682Re: [scrumdevelopment] Appreciative Inquiry - Any pointers?

  • Dan Greening
    Mar 10, 2013
      I find that Christopher Avery's work on teamwork (see his book Teamwork is an Individual Skill) and the Responsibility Process very helpful in understanding how blame is a normal stage in progressing to responsibility (blame other, justify, feel guilty, go through the motions, take responsibility). I think it works well when I apply it to myself, and try to quickly move up the stack. However, something I find challenging is understanding how I can motivate responsibility in people within a large organization without getting the top leadership on board. It might not be possible? Would love to hear more from others.

      Dan Greening
      Managing Director, Senex Rex LLC, http://senexrex.com
      Email: dan@... Phone: +1 (415) 754-8311, Skypeid: drgreening

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM, PAUL <beckfordp@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      I'm interested in hearing peoples experience applying appreciative inquiry as a "positive deviance" approach to change..

      I'm reading the seminal paper by Cooperrider and Whitney, and I'm finding their arguments very compelling.

      The particulars of my current consulting assignment is a small company with a strong blame culture. This conflicts with their espoused values which can be summarised as a "can do" attitude. Most people "don't do" and look for reasons why the "can't do". I am pretty certain that this behaviour as emerged in response to blame.

      I think AI could really help here, by removing the focus from problems and problem solving (and hence blame) and focusing instead on achievements, especially achievements that followed from people taking risks.

      I'ver identified several such examples, and I have individuals willing to tell their story. I'm open to advice on where to take this.

      Thanks in advance.

      Paul.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic