56663Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum in Data Warehousing?

  • Jesse Houwing
    Mar 4 1:18 AM
      Charles,

      Though it's not really helpful for you, I thought to share my experience in this area. A colleague is working on a sort of approach towards this. Not a book, but a collection of practices. So far I know he bumped into a lot of issues around the tooling that made it really hard to gradually grow and change the warehouse. And he bumped into a lot of issues due to the fact that the code usually *is* the database, making proper versioning and automation a real pain.

      This was especially so in older versions of the Microsoft SQL Server offerings, but Microsoft is fixing this rapidly. In SQL 2012 BI solutions, the GUID's that stitch these things together no longer change every time you hit save and SQL Server Data Tools are making it easier to sync your database to sourcecontrol and back, slowly taking the source out of the database. So far I've met a lot of resistance from the folks managing these databases, since they used to be the real owners of the source and responsible for the operations of the system. They usually look a lot deeper into what was deployed to 'their' servers, than the average operations team that receives a set of packaged binaries that make up a website.

      As a Team Foundation Server geek, I like the approach Microsoft has taken towards the creation and changes to the warehouse, they're building the warehouse from code and apply changes to the model as needed. This approach makes the database pretty flexible, but renders a lot of the standard tooling useless. And as far as I've been working in this area, most of the API's used to make this work (mostly under Microsoft.AnalysisService) are very scarcely documented. Not even GhostDoc'ed.

      When we have something to publish in this area I'll surely post a few links here. I guess that books providing a mix of a lot of traditional and not much on tooling usage will remain for some time. Around Microsoft Solutions, anything referencing older than SQL Server 2008r2 is not to be trusted. Anything related to 2012 might actually come close... :S.

      Jesse

      On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Charles Bradley - Professional Scrum Trainer and Coach <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:

      I have a client who is considering using Scrum in Data Warehousing(I won't be involved in that).  He knows how to use Google, but I was wondering if anyone had any *highly recommended resources*  for using Scrum in DW(books, blogs, ec).  He is fully aware of the Hughes book(which got a negative review from someone I trust), and I also have some info on Scott Ambler's work in this area.

      Anything else that you would *highly recommend*?

      -------
      Charles Bradley
      Scrum Coach-in-Chief
      ScrumCrazy.com