56658Re: Can someone explain the benefit to de-coupled story and task estimates?

  • avinap77
    Mar 2, 2013
      Hi Doug,

      --- Doug Sims <doug.sims@...> wrote:
      > I can see that "story" estimates of 3, 5 and 8 may have taken
      > anywhere from 3 to 20+ narwhals to actually complete.
      > (...)
      > What am I missing here?

      Story estimates are used by the PO to plan releases (long term planning).
      Task estimates are used by the dev-team to plan their day-to-day work towards the end of the sprint (short-term planning).

      None of these are supposed to be used to track actuals (past). They are just tools to help planning ahead (future).

      Might this shed your problem in a different perspective?

      HTH,
      Avi
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic