56610RE: [scrumdevelopment] Questions about shifting from traditional project management to SCRUM

  • Jean Richardson
    Feb 25, 2013

      Hi, Ensieh.

      I’ve worked with a number of organizations with established PMO’s where this transition is in flight.  (It doesn’t happen overnight.)

      The first thing I can recommend is that you read Sliger and Broderick’s /The Software Project Manager’s Bridge to Agility/.  Assuming your organization chooses to retain the project manager role, per se, you can expect the role to change at least somewhat and perhaps drastically, depending on how it is practiced now.

      PMI has a new PMI-ACP (Agile Certified Practitioner) certification that may be of interest to you if your PMO currently values the PMP credential.  However, know that the ACP is a combination of Scrum, Kanban, and XP—plus a bit more, it seems.  You are also required to document 1500 hours of agile project management experience if you already have your PMP before you can sit for that exam and an additional 2000 hours of experience working on project teams if you do not already have your PMP.

      The ACP does not, to my mind, substitute for the CSM (Certified Scrum Master) class experience.  You do not need to document experience hours to take the CSM class.  Choose your trainer wisely.

      It can also be helpful to hire a Scrum Coach or an Agile Coach.  At this point, there are coaches out there of every stripe.  Again, choose your coach, if you decide to engage one, thoughtfully.  Request references from organizations where this coach has dealt with PMO’s before, for instance.

      It is also important to consider whether your organization sees a need to continue with the PMO model (there is such a thing as an Agile PMO).  In some organizations during an agile adoption, PM’s move into either Scrum Master or Product Owner roles depending on their skills, aptitudes, experience, and organizational need.

      Be aware that some of your PMO colleagues may decide that an agile adoption is not for them and voluntarily leave the organization—others may leave involuntarily, of course.  Depending on how the PM role has been established in the organization (how you are currently encouraged to do your work as a PM), the transition in the power and accountability models that come along with an agile adoption can be difficult or unpalatable for a PM.  Helping PM’s make the transition through training, coaching, and, where appropriate job transfers, will be part of the process.

      HTH, and I would also be happy to respond off list if you have questions you’d like to take off list.

      --- Jean